Canadians check in here....

Hi! I’m in Sudbury, my first year with chickens so I lack the knowledge you seek . I have 12 in total still too young to be laying I think I have 2 cockerels (1 is a hedemora, the other a lemon Pyle Brahma) for pullets I have 3 crested cream legbars, 3 crele beilefelders, 2 silver beilefelders and 2 silver Ameraucanas. I like to think I am prepared for winter but... we’ll see!
I’ve been to Sudbury a good handful of times when I was younger for my brother’s travel baseball.... or was it hockey....

I keep seeing the name Bielefelder around and every time I’m pulled away to google to go on an image spiral looking at them because their colours and patterns :love

How are your Ameraucanas? What are they like? Do they free range or are they in an enclosed run and coop? Do you know how old yours are? :wee

I’ve been to Sudbury a good handful of times when I was younger for my brother’s travel baseball.... or was it hockey....

I keep seeing the name Bielefelder around and every time I’m pulled away to google to go on an image spiral looking at them because their colours and patterns :love

How are your Ameraucanas? What are they like? Do they free range or are they in an enclosed run and coop? Do you know how old yours are? :wee

The ameraucanas are great! They were 2 weeks old when I got them and they have always been the most friendly of the flock. They are 15 weeks old and this week. They have an enclosed run, I have 5 untrustworthy dogs lol it is just safer this way. They have over 300sq feet of safe run and I am planing an expansion for next year too. Where did you get yours from, sorry to hear about the scissor beak!

The ameraucanas are great! They were 2 weeks old when I got them and they have always been the most friendly of the flock. They are 15 weeks old and this week. They have an enclosed run, I have 5 untrustworthy dogs lol it is just safer this way. They have over 300sq feet of safe run and I am planing an expansion for next year too. Where did you get yours from, sorry to hear about the scissor beak!
Yours are feathering in nicely!! I love the silver hens. Your coop sounds great, I wish I could make as big of a coop as yours but we have apartments to rent out and I already have 2 horses taking up land :caf
So I got mine from a kijiji ad, which makes me skeptical of their legitimacy but I guess I’ll see in the next few weeks :fl They were from some backyard farmer near me because the chicks were hatched for kids on Easter weekend. Two are only missing the more blue slate legs (they’re more black) and have some dark comb leakage so I’m curious about that? Two also are missing a beard and two have yellow feet :lau I’m hoping for at the least green eggs and then maybe in the spring I can acquire some true Ameraucanas if I don’t get my blue eggs!
My little CB is quite the character to be honest! I adore her to bits, even with all the extra care I have to do for her well being. She’s the friendliest chicken and who can get along with absolutely anybody and anything :love:love photo is from before her separation from the main flocka few months back now

Edited to add sentence

Attachments

• F8BC95F6-A834-465C-8E7F-EDBC94B90CA5.jpeg
    F8BC95F6-A834-465C-8E7F-EDBC94B90CA5.jpeg
    846.3 KB · Views: 3
Hello from the west side of southern Ontario :frow
I’ve been on here for a bit now but thought I’d drop in to see what provinces my fellow BYC Canadians reside in! I’m always wanting to hear about everyone’s flock and what it’s like living with chickens in other provinces. I heard there’s a foot and a half of snow in Calgary from some relatives, can I just say I am NOT ready for winter and neither are my coops, it’s only October!! :barnie

I got my first little flock of chicks this past spring, 7 Ameraucanas. Then in the summer I got another 7 that are Silkie crosses, 3 of which are frizzled. I ended up giving one of the Ameraucanas to a coworker (should have waited another week since he was closest to standard even if I’m not breeding) as 3 boys was a lot before getting my next set of chickens. Do some reason I really like the number 7 it seems LOL

I now have a total of 13 chickens. There are 2 Ameraucana cockerels and 1 frizzled SilkieX cockerel. There’s 10 pullets in total right now, one Ameraucana has a severe scissor beak and is living separated from the others with the SilkieX cockerel.
One of the SilkieX is laying everyday and a second SilkieX is almost there while she finishes figuring things out. I’m hoping for some blue eggs soon as the Ameraucanas are on week 25 :fl
The other 4 SilkieX pullets are on week 20-22 so maybe I’ll get some more tinted/beige eggs AND some blue eggs. The first SilkieX that started was around 22 weeks and she’s been going for a good 2 weeks or so now :clap

EDIT: Just to say I’m going to be going through this thread to see what kind of knowledge I can gain from other Canadians!
That's a nice amount of birds! Your Amerucaunas should be laying soon! My two were earlier than 25 weeks. But my Hamburg took almost 27 weeks and the books say should be laying around 20 weeks. I lovey blue eggs! I ended up with a surprise blue layer this year w been I picked up a Spitzhauben cross. I was expecting a white egg....nope blue! Love my Silkie. She is my oldest at 4.5 years old and lays better than my RIR and GLW!!! Put together! No kidding. Please post pics!!??
20180120_132414-1.jpg
20180120_132421-1.jpg
20161030_161745-1.jpg

That's a nice amount of birds! Your Amerucaunas should be laying soon! My two were earlier than 25 weeks. But my Hamburg took almost 27 weeks and the books say should be laying around 20 weeks. I lovey blue eggs! I ended up with a surprise blue layer this year w been I picked up a Spitzhauben cross. I was expecting a white egg....nope blue! Love my Silkie. She is my oldest at 4.5 years old and lays better than my RIR and GLW!!! Put together! No kidding. Please post pics!!??View attachment 1929493 View attachment 1929496 View attachment 1929500
What cute birds you have :love I want some more Ameraucanas in the future, I need more colours!
Your silkie is so fluffy aaaahhhh!!!! She’s a great egg laying old lady my goodness :eek:

Let me get some of my newer photos organized and I’ll upload them!

Got some sort of recent photos! A few are older but this is what they all look like!

Attachments

• 09E4E99A-9916-4A5E-BBAC-CA3B85AAF2E3.jpeg
    09E4E99A-9916-4A5E-BBAC-CA3B85AAF2E3.jpeg
    386.5 KB · Views: 5
  • DFB6CD68-74AD-4FCE-A00C-80470D146FEF.jpeg
    DFB6CD68-74AD-4FCE-A00C-80470D146FEF.jpeg
    729.4 KB · Views: 4
  • D3B6C43C-90D2-4E39-B961-62B92F74A4AE.jpeg
    D3B6C43C-90D2-4E39-B961-62B92F74A4AE.jpeg
    1,018.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 18CC5ADA-4E70-448F-AC1D-E3713086E41E.jpeg
    18CC5ADA-4E70-448F-AC1D-E3713086E41E.jpeg
    202.1 KB · Views: 4
  • A0B75138-7F14-4227-8813-D0A84BA578B9.jpeg
    A0B75138-7F14-4227-8813-D0A84BA578B9.jpeg
    436.2 KB · Views: 4
  • A41139CB-E315-49DD-A6F9-4D06125F90D2.jpeg
    A41139CB-E315-49DD-A6F9-4D06125F90D2.jpeg
    400.2 KB · Views: 4
That's a nice amount of birds! Your Amerucaunas should be laying soon! My two were earlier than 25 weeks. But my Hamburg took almost 27 weeks and the books say should be laying around 20 weeks. I lovey blue eggs! I ended up with a surprise blue layer this year w been I picked up a Spitzhauben cross. I was expecting a white egg....nope blue! Love my Silkie. She is my oldest at 4.5 years old and lays better than my RIR and GLW!!! Put together! No kidding. Please post pics!!??View attachment 1929493 View attachment 1929496 View attachment 1929500
What beautiful Ameraucanas you have! They are on my wish list to find in the spring. I cannot get over their muffs and beards. :love I was hoping to find some this year, but I was unable to find anyone within driving distance and the other option was from a hatchery with a minimum of 25 bird order. I think hubby would have a heart attack if I tripled the size of our flock overnight. :lau

What beautiful Ameraucanas you have! They are on my wish list to find in the spring. I cannot get over their muffs and beards. :love I was hoping to find some this year, but I was unable to find anyone within driving distance and the other option was from a hatchery with a minimum of 25 bird order. I think hubby would have a heart attack if I tripled the size of our flock overnight. :lau
Keep looking! All of mine are from local people! Join a Facebook page in your area. Tons there as well as hatching eggs!

Back
Top Bottom