Canadians check in here....

What do you all do for feed with a flock that has both chickens & ducks? I only have access to a duck/goose grower (20%) and a poultry grower (16%). I don’t want to feed the layer feed (17%) because I have roos & a drake that don’t need the extra calcium. I just don’t know what would be the best for a mixed flock.

My Roo gets the layer feed. I also give him alot of scratch, he loves corn, mealworms sunflower seeds and veggies. Free ranges too.He prefers to eat the other stuff and he does chase away the young hens if they join him. So I don't worry to much about his extra calcium. If you wanted, you can go with a Grower or Game bird feed with calcium on the side for the layers. Hens will pick at oyster shells when the need it. I also use a supplement on the side as well they can pick at if they want. I raise all my chicks on turkey grower! I hope this helps? :jumpy:D

My Roo gets the layer feed. I also give him alot of scratch, he loves corn, mealworms sunflower seeds and veggies. Free ranges too.He prefers to eat the other stuff and he does chase away the young hens if they join him. So I don't worry to much about his extra calcium. If you wanted, you can go with a Grower or Game bird feed with calcium on the side for the layers. Hens will pick at oyster shells when the need it. I also use a supplement on the side as well they can pick at if they want. I raise all my chicks on turkey grower! I hope this helps? :jumpy:D
Thanks for your input. With so many different opinions & feed choices depending on location, I was feeling like maybe I was missing something. I was worried that the 16% protein feed that I was giving my ducks was not enough protein, but the 20% seemed high when they get treats & veggie scraps & such.
What made you decide to use turkey grower?
Thanks for letting me pick your brain :)

Thanks for your input. With so many different opinions & feed choices depending on location, I was feeling like maybe I was missing something. I was worried that the 16% protein feed that I was giving my ducks was not enough protein, but the 20% seemed high when they get treats & veggie scraps & such.
I used turkey grower on the recommendation from a breeder that I picked up chicks from. She did that with all her chickens. Roundcreek Quarter horses. She has a website. Not a problem! That is how we learn things! I also have about 2 dozen chicken books for reference. :pop:love:caf:frow

Hello!! Welcome Mudma! Good to hear from you!! How are the babies doing? It would be nice to hear from another NS member on this as our weather is so diverse??? I personally would. As they get older, they may not need heat. I put a digital thermometer in mine so I can see it in the house on cold nights. I am the first to admit if the temp drops too low....I thow a blanket over my coop! Lol!! :frow:welcome
Hi Mudma.
I have 1 insulated coop & 1 not. The birds in the uninsulated got frostbite on their toes, while the ones in the insulated coop didn't. This was during a 3 week cold snap of -45. I don't heat.

Turkey grower is higher on protein and so is Game bird feed. I have really tried alot when my hens were not laying much. Changed brands, organic, non organic, changed feed mills, treats are a mix of bird seed, scratch, pepper flakes, herbs, brewers yeast, corn, cat food, garlic, DE, you won't kill them lol! In the end I have a couple of dud hens. Lol! Have not layed in two years and they are only 4!

What do you all do for feed with a flock that has both chickens & ducks? I only have access to a duck/goose grower (20%) and a poultry grower (16%). I don’t want to feed the layer feed (17%) because I have roos & a drake that don’t need the extra calcium. I just don’t know what would be the best for a mixed flock.
I buy my feed at UFA and it's Grower finisher feed for Chickens, Turkey, Ducks and Geese. I supply Oyster shell on the side once a week for my Hens.

Back
Top Bottom