Canadians check in here....

Welcome to the most rewarding hobby on earth! First year with chickens is always the harder, and there will be hiccups, but the amazing feeling of getting those eggs trumps all! Especially if you're one of those people who takes pride in winning over the hearts of your flock!

What breeds did you get? A lot of first year Point of Lay birds will lay through their first winter, so you could get lucky!

:welcome

Peterborough.... all the nice breeds seem to be out that way. I missed my chance to get a showgirl pillet out that way not to long ago :(
2 azure blues, 2 barred rocks and 2 RIR

I ordered from freys which isn't exactly out Peterborough way lol. But I guess depending on where in the country you hail from, it sorta is.

And yes, I'm definitely planning to make my butt nugget layers my friends too.

2 azure blues, 2 barred rocks and 2 RIR

I ordered from freys which isn't exactly out Peterborough way lol. But I guess depending on where in the country you hail from, it sorta is.

And yes, I'm definitely planning to make my butt nugget layers my friends too.
I only got my Azures and my Production Reds (think they called em Shavers at the time) through them, both of which laid straight through their first year, azures laid through their second too, both winters included. I didn't have any luck with my Barred girls, had one prolapse on her first egg, and a mink took my last two. Barred I got from a local guy though, so I can't say how Freys are. In general the azures were a bit twitchy when I got them, and stayed that way despite my soft and slow approach to gentling, but they laid a beautiful baby blue egg so pretty it almost makes me sad I rehomed them.

A mink took my entire flock of 18 in Sept, so I'm slowly building it back up to what it once was, the loss almost made me quit, except I had 3 favorites survive the massacre and I really missed the little fluff butts. But now I've only got green and brown in my egg basket... cream too if I count the thumbnail sized silkie egg, but I really miss the variety!

And the ladies themselves, since I'm being honest. Blondie had the the softiest feathers ever, she's my avatar picture.... heck I could go on and on for each of them. They all had personality and special little quirks.

Remember, if a corner of your covered run gets damaged in a windstorm, tomorrow isn't a good day to fix it. I hadn't seen a mink in a decade before that evening 😒

And the ladies themselves, since I'm being honest. Blondie had the the softiest feathers ever, she's my avatar picture.... heck I could go on and on for each of them. They all had personality and special little quirks.

Remember, if a corner of your covered run gets damaged in a windstorm, tomorrow isn't a good day to fix it. I hadn't seen a mink in a decade before that evening 😒
Oh no! 😞 good to know

Oh no! 😞 good to know
My coop and run are like fort knox, so I got comfortable. It was a hard lesson to learn, but there's plenty of us on here to learn through so you don't need to suffer the same heartache.
è
I've got an amazing little golden laced wyandotte who survived with one wing out of that incident. Sweet thing doesn't even realize it's missing :D

Anyone in Alberta looking for some beautiful looking drakes
1 month old
They are Pekin / khaki cross
I kept some from my first batch and will show pictures of how they feather out
They are the black ones in the picture
They look more mallard this comes from dads genes

Attachments

• 626057BB-3E26-4D13-8E5B-A17D261F2EAA.jpeg
    626057BB-3E26-4D13-8E5B-A17D261F2EAA.jpeg
    739.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 0647F7F5-A62E-4B32-8C35-9AFCDCDDA3A2.jpeg
    0647F7F5-A62E-4B32-8C35-9AFCDCDDA3A2.jpeg