Canadians check in here....

How do you find the time to clean water for ALL those ducks?????

I suspect that 30 ducks create enough body heat in an insulated coop to be ok, but MOST people don't have 30 :lau

You could not clear the woods and build the coop next to the pond? You must carry more water than a river... *Phew!*
In the winter, they have to stay dirty, lol. And since the hose is frozen, when it's mild enough out I just hand-fill some small trays and tubs for them. Yes, it's labour-intensive and is destroying my body, but just watching them gleefully bathing is worth it, lol!

Summer time, I have many, many wading pools. I put the hose in one, go about some chores, come back and put the hose in the next one, more chores, and so on. I do not change the water in all the pools every day!

Yes, the plan is to eventually have the coop over there, and to make them a little floating island in the middle of the pond, too. Connected with a bridge because my daughter wants to be able to go sit out there and read. I'm suspecting she originally got the ducks to make sure no mosquitoes bothered her out there! :D

In the winter, they have to stay dirty, lol. And since the hose is frozen, when it's mild enough out I just hand-fill some small trays and tubs for them. Yes, it's labour-intensive and is destroying my body, but just watching them gleefully bathing is worth it, lol!

Summer time, I have many, many wading pools. I put the hose in one, go about some chores, come back and put the hose in the next one, more chores, and so on. I do not change the water in all the pools every day!

Yes, the plan is to eventually have the coop over there, and to make them a little floating island in the middle of the pond, too. Connected with a bridge because my daughter wants to be able to go sit out there and read. I'm suspecting she originally got the ducks to make sure no mosquitoes bothered her out there! :D
Not sure about the daughter... But a floating duck house is doable, you tie it to a rope and pull it to shore when it needs cleaning. I winch or pulley might help...

I couldn't do the "stay dirty" technique. I have 2 and they come into the bathroom to bathe in the human tub in winter. Usually daily. The longest they go is sometimes I skip a day and give them a bath outside if it is mild enough. When I had Muscovy it was not such an issue as water is mostly for drinking and they wash by dunking their head and doing the rest with a washcloth kind of bathing. But Kahki Campbells swim constantly. On day one they climbed into the paper cup of water I brought them for the car ride home. They never saw water they didn't love.

Hi! This year I am hatching my own chicks! Pretty excited about the whole thing! Which eggs would you hatch? My rooster is a Barnevelder. With an Easter egger, Olive egger, Welsummer, Splash Australorp, Cuckoo Marans, BLR Wyndotte, Salmon Faverolle, Barred Rock and Blue Amerucauna? Those are my egg choices. Thoughts?

Attachments

• PXL_20221227_210052494~2.jpg
    PXL_20221227_210052494~2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20220909_154459497.jpg
    PXL_20220909_154459497.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom