Canadians check in here....

There are several diseases that can be carried within the egg.  MG and MS to name 2.  I believe it is a reportable disease in the USA but not in Canada for chickens (it is for turkeys)  MG  is a serious threat to commercial egg producers. 

No no you didn't scare anyone off! My daughter got her horse semen through no problem, ( she's shouting at the border guard, "do you know how time sensitive this stuff is!!") but truly we've never tried to bring any contraband through otherwise. Although I'm so tempted with Baldwin apple trees. Nother story.

Agree, but I am not canadian I just live in Canada
So am I out now ??
cool.png
Not at all. Any Canadian Residents count.

Haha, no! Bio security is a big issue. There are strict rules with regards to importing horse and bull semen, so it stands to reason that there would be restrictions with hatching eggs. I'm sure with enough determination the proper paper work could be put in order and one could legally import eggs.

Don't feel bad about being a realist! I would love to import some eggs...I have imported and exported horses, so maybe I will investigate what the requirements are.

I am lurking. I am waiting nervously for my first hatch and wishing I could find some eggs to join the hatch along.

Lucky me LOL if being a resident is fine with you, well than I keep posting
wink.png

See and here they are, just going ahead with where we left.

So I know from importing stuff from Germany that they are very strict with even bringing in Seed for plants. They are very hard with that, the one time when I came back from a visit the Lady which was sitting beside me in the Airplane got pulled out, because she had some Peanuts in here Suitcase, they are on the list of stuff what is not aloud to bring in. Also anything with meat or meat products, Milk products and so on the list is very long.
Just an exemple, and I know she had to pay a fee and it was quite a bit, and they took the Peanuts away. She had to paid for the disposal and penalty
But I don't know how different it is with the US. But I know that there are a few hatchery's out there sending eggs to canada. So there must be a legal way to do so.

One question,

would it be a good Idea, to start a canadian, egg and / or chick trade threat so for the once are interested in getting some new chicken? Or for those who wanna get rid of some or so? As far as I know it is no problem to ship them if you do that private ?

Just a thought which crossed my mind because of Mr MKK Farms looking for some Faverolle

One question,

would it be a good Idea, to start a canadian, egg and / or chick trade threat so for the once are interested in getting some new chicken? Or for those who wanna get rid of some or so? As far as I know it is no problem to ship them if you do that private ?

Just a thought which crossed my mind because of Mr MKK Farms looking for some Faverolle
That idea has crossed my mind and I think I will do that later on, but as it is now I am forced into paying cash instead of trading because of my lack of birds. It would take so long to gather up the Faverolle eggs I need to trade and by that time the first ones would go bad.

Later on I will do it I think.
smile.png
Thanks for bringing it up!

One question,

would it be a good Idea, to start a canadian, egg and / or chick trade threat so for the once are interested in getting some new chicken? Or for those who wanna get rid of some or so? As far as I know it is no problem to ship them if you do that private ? 

I would live to see a thread where Canadians could buy and sell to each other.

3. General Import Requirements - US Animals - Other than ruminants
(1) An equine, swine, poultry, hatching egg, bear or non-domestic feline may be imported into Canada from the United States if the animal is accompanied by a certificate of an official veterinarian of the United States or a certificate of a veterinarian endorsed by an official veterinarian of the United States that clearly identifies the animal and states that:

the animal was inspected by a veterinarian within 30 days preceding the date of importation;
the animal was found by a veterinarian to be free from any communicable disease;
the animal was, to the best of the knowledge and belief of a veterinarian, not exposed to any communicable disease within 60 days preceding the date of the inspection;
the applicable conditions set out in the Regulations and in this Document respecting the importation of that species of animal have been satisfied; and
the animal meets the conditions shown on the certificate.
(2) An animal imported into Canada from the United States shall not be admitted into Canada if it has been in the United States for less than 60 days unless it is accompanied by

a certificate of an official veterinarian of the country of origin stating that they have inspected the animal and found it free from any communicable disease; and
a certificate of an official veterinarian of the United States stating that they have inspected the animal and found it free from any communicable disease and, if the animal has been quarantined or tested, the duration of the quarantine and the result of the test.
(3) A certificate referred to in paragraph (2)(b) may be accepted in lieu of the certificate referred to in subsection (1) with respect to any matter certified therein.

(4) A certificate referred to in subsection (1) shall not be accepted unless the official veterinarian who endorses the certificate certifies that it was issued by a licensed veterinarian in the United States.

(5) An equine, swine, bear, or non-domestic feline referred to in subsection 3.(1) that was born after its mother was inspected is not required to meet the requirements of this Document, as long as the animal is imported into Canada at the same time as its mother and, unless the animal was born en route to Canada, the animal is identified on the certificate, referred to in subsection 3.(1), of its mother.

Just in case anyone was curious! Does not seem like too big of a haste, actually!

9. Poultry
(1) Poultry, except songbirds and parrots referred to in section 13, may be imported into Canada from the United States if the certificate required under subsection 3.(1) states that, to the best of the knowledge and belief of a veterinarian, the poultry and flock of origin are free from communicable disease and have not been exposed to avian pneumoencephalitis (Newcastle Disease), fowl plague (Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza), fowl typhoid (Salmonella gallinarum), pullorum disease (Salmonella pullorum) and ornithosis (Chlamydiosis, Psittacosis).

(2) Chicks may only be imported into Canada from the United States if the chicks are in new, clean containers or in used containers that have been cleaned and disinfected for the purpose of preventing the introduction of disease.

(3) A chicken, turkey or game bird may only be imported into Canada from the United States if the certificate required under subsection 3(1) states that the poultry being imported were resident in a flock of origin that is found free from pullorum disease (Salmonella pullorum) and fowl typhoid (Salmonella gallinarum) under the United States Department of Agriculture National Poultry Improvement Plan or states that

in the case of poultry being imported only for exhibition and being returned to the United States within a period of 30 days from importation, serological tests have been conducted on such poultry over four weeks of age within 30 days prior to importation and those tests proved negative for pullorum (Salmonella pullorum) disease and fowl typhoid (Salmonella gallinarum); and
in any other case,
serological tests have been conducted on all poultry in the flock of origin over four weeks of age within 12 months preceding importation and those tests proved negative for pullorum disease (Salmonella pullorum) and fowl typhoid (Salmonella gallinarum); and
the poultry being imported were resident in the flock of origin that existed at the time of the tests of the flock referred to in subparagraph (i) or were a natural increase of that flock or additions thereto that originated from a flock serologically negative to a test for pullorum disease (Salmonella pullorum) and fowl typhoid (Salmonella gallinarum) conducted within 12 months prior to entry to the flock of origin.
10. Pigeons
And here is something more specific! Maybe when I go to Kentucky next month I will bring something back!!!

Back
Top Bottom