Canadians check in here....

Lol
And I never complain about the snow :D

I can and did this year, we got no snow!!! Seriously I was so mad, I had my first baby this past year, we bought her 3 snowsuits and had one day that it sprinkled some flakes! Very disappointed and didn't put in the effort to drive 4 hours up the mountain and felt like an *** complaining with what the rest of Canada was dealing with.

British Columbia over here.
Soon to move from Vancouver to Langley and looking forward to starting up a small chicken coop of Barnevelders and Barred Plymouth Rock chickens for eggs. Would love any BC contacts on here especially those who also have Barnevelders, if any.
New to chickens, I've been a fan of Muscovy ducks and raised them and Netherland dwarf rabbits in the past.

Building the coop now and looking to pick up chicks in late May or June. I travel the interior and the island and would help rural BC'ers if I'm able.

Hello new2pheasants, great to have more BC ers on here. Princeton here and planning on some Barred Rock chicks also this summer. Going to be gone May and June so hope to get the chicks when we get back home. Was thinking of the ISA browns as we have had lots of them in past years. Thought the Barred Rocks would be a hardier breed to get so going to try them. What are the Barnevelders like?

Hello Hawk, honestly I can't say what the Barnevelders are like, I pick mine up in May and this will be my first experience with chickens in a long time. I've favored ducks in the past but decided to go with chickens this time because no pond, and I won't keep ducks with no water.
Barnevelders are supposed to be good egg layers and be calm good natured birds but I'm really getting them because their just so dam gorgeous. However there also rare, thus expensive so I'm only getting a few and then adding the BPR's to make up my numbers. I'm also interested in what the combo will be with a Barny roo and the BPR, laced chicken and stripy chicken.

The chickens I had before were some white hens that were abandoned on the property I took over renting, they layed a lots of eggs but stupid stupid birds. I think it left me with a terrible impression of chickens and I've raised everything but since then, so hoping I'm making the right choice in breed and actually enjoy the effort.

Last edited:
British Columbia over here.
Soon to move from Vancouver to Langley and looking forward to starting up a small chicken coop of Barnevelders and Barred Plymouth Rock chickens for eggs. Would love any BC contacts on here especially those who also have Barnevelders, if any.
New to chickens, I've been a fan of Muscovy ducks and raised them and Netherland dwarf rabbits in the past.

Building the coop now and looking to pick up chicks in late May or June. I travel the interior and the island and would help rural BC'ers if I'm able.
Hi new2pheasants,

Welcome!

We are in Port Moody area, with a mixed flock of chickens - Barred Rocks, Welsummers, New Hampshire Red, Light Sussex, Dutch Leghorn, Buff Orpington, Buff Brahma, Black Langshans, Production Red. Who else am I forgetting? Ah! Australops, Black Ameraucanas, and 2 Easter Eggers. LOL

I am curious to know why you chose Barnevelders for eggs?

I want to raise Muscovy ducks, so looking for 1 day old ducklings.

Im from (roughly) Peace River, Alberta. I say roughly because it's the closest town to me and it's still 45km away. Yep - I'm in the boonies.

I'd love to connect with anyone who is far north and has the long cold winters. I grew up in Central Alberta and thought I knew what winter was. Ha! I was so wrong! I'm now 6 hours north of Edmonton. I'm closer to the NWT than Edmonton.

I've arranged to pick up and hatch 36 Partridge Chantecler eggs the first week of May. Up here...it's still cold out then - we get frost until the first week of June and then we get frost again mid August. Ask me how sad I was when all my tomatoes were frost killed last year in August!! *sigh*

Anyway, looking for any tips for extreme and continuous cold. I have two friends up here with laying hens with very different ideas of how to do it. I'm looking for as healthy, natural and sustainable as possible (when I say natural....ignore that I'm talking about overwintering a tropical bird in the near arctic).

Nice meeting everyone!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom