Canadians check in here....

I'm new to this site but have had chickens for a couple of years. We moved from Ontario to Nova Scotia this summer but I had to leave my hens behind because I worried they wouldn't travel well.

I am looking for more chickens but having a very hard time finding Heritage Breeds in Cape Breton. I really want Marans, I also am looking for Easter Eggers, and / Ameraucanas but miss chickens so much at this point I'd probably take anything.

:welcome I hope you can find some heritage breeds! I believe there might be some Nova Scotians around somewhere. You could try making a new thread to see if you can catch someone's attention. Something with a title like "Nova Scotia heritage chickens!"

I've also found a couple other threads you could check out or try to connect to other members:
hello-from-guysborough-co-nova-scotia
raising-heritage-breeds-in-nova-scotia
new-from-nova-scotia

I hope that helps!

I'm new to this site but have had chickens for a couple of years. We moved from Ontario to Nova Scotia this summer but I had to leave my hens behind because I worried they wouldn't travel well.

I am looking for more chickens but having a very hard time finding Heritage Breeds in Cape Breton. I really want Marans, I also am looking for Easter Eggers, and / Ameraucanas but miss chickens so much at this point I'd probably take anything.
Hi Maran little-cutie-says-hello-smiley-emoticon.gif .
Where in Cape Breton are You? I went to St. FX and dated someone from New Waterford for a few years. Beautiful part of the country you've picked to live in.

Maybe your best bet to find the breeds you're looking for is to contact the one you bought from before and arrange a shipment of eggs or somesuch.

Welcome to BYC. It's a fantastic place with lots of great, friendly helpful people.

:welcome

Hi @Chickylove12 ! Thanks for popping in :) There are a lot of northern US members here, but sometimes it's nice for some in-country advice lol

I'm not far from you, I had chickens for the first time last year and got my first chicks this spring. I'm really enjoying it! (eating eggs as I type this lol)

Did you post an introduction? I'll go check!

And I believe @halfpintlc is from Brockville too!

Hi @Chickylove12 ! Thanks for popping in :) There are a lot of northern US members here, but sometimes it's nice for some in-country advice lol

I'm not far from you, I had chickens for the first time last year and got my first chicks this spring. I'm really enjoying it! (eating eggs as I type this lol)

Did you post an introduction? I'll go check!

And I believe @halfpintlc is from Brockville too!
Oh lovely..what area do u live? Yes I introduced myself to the lady from Brockville as well @halfpintlc

Hi everyone! I just joined BYC this week and was sent over to this thread, thank god. Everyone is so helpful here, it's great!

So I'm from Mid-Western QC and I'm looking to start up my coop next year but I'm having a hell of a time finding the breeds I want which are Easter Egger, Olive Egger and Ameraucana chicks (yes, I want a rainbow basket!) :wee Sexed preferred but straight-run is good, too since those breeds are hard to sex at such a young age! If I go straight run, I'll probably end up looking for Orpies and Austras around May.

So, if anyone on this thread hatches their own eggs and is willing to ship via post office, that would be awesome. Oh.. and also if you have e-transfer that would be even better, too :)

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by! Not sure how many check on this thread regularly so you might have better luck making a new thread (if you haven't already) to see if you can catch someone's attention.
Obviously there are big hatcheries you could order from, but most people would rather source small or locally!
I got my chicks from Performance Poultr y, and they ship out of province which would work for you, but I believe they have a 5 chick minimum per breed.
I will mention DC Heritage in Quebec, but so far I have heard nothing but negative things about them so I wouldn't recommend them.

Maybe you could try contacting this poster:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/from-quebec.1204399/#post-19097063

Good luck!

I'm new to BYC, but I've been keeping chickens since 1971. I'm the owner of True North Heritage Hatchery and we ship chicks and hatching eggs all over Canada, from NFL to the Yukon. The farm where we raise our breeding flocks is in Armstrong, BC (that's in the north Okanagan valley) We hatch at a commercial hatchery in Chilliwack and take advantage of the transportation hub in Vancouver. Chicks shipped outside BC go by air cargo, so it's a little expensive but they fly on hatch day or the morning after. I'm just noticing that my profile is blank! Newbee issues!

Back
Top Bottom