Canadians check in here....

Omg those trees! Gorgeous!

The house we moved here was built in 1932. Good and solid.

And if you’re prepared to gut it fully, redo the insulation, wiring, and plumbing... well they certainly don’t make them like they used to. Great bones, sensible floor plans... I wish that had be a feasible option for us! I had 2 perpendicular layers of 3/4” tongue and groove fir sub flooring 8” wide in our old house. Hardly any squeaks, and my 280+lb friend could jump in the middle of the living room floor and it hardly wiggled. I miss that house!

And as for trees, well you should see the big ones! Lol

And if you’re prepared to gut it fully, redo the insulation, wiring, and plumbing... well they certainly don’t make them like they used to. Great bones, sensible floor plans... I wish that had be a feasible option for us! I had 2 perpendicular layers of 3/4” tongue and groove fir sub flooring 8” wide in our old house. Hardly any squeaks, and my 280+lb friend could jump in the middle of the living room floor and it hardly wiggled. I miss that house!

And as for trees, well you should see the big ones! Lol
I'm so jealous. There was a fire on our property about 20 years ago that wiped out pretty much all of the trees. I've got about 35 acres of woods, but nothing is really big yet. Also, we've just got scrub willow and poplar as the bulk of the trees, with a splash of tamarack and birch here & there.

I'm so jealous. There was a fire on our property about 20 years ago that wiped out pretty much all of the trees. I've got about 35 acres of woods, but nothing is really big yet. Also, we've just got scrub willow and poplar as the bulk of the trees, with a splash of tamarack and birch here & there.
I miss the colours of the poplars in the fall... we have a few big leaf maples and Garry oaks, by mostly grand fir, Doug fir, and western red cedar. We have some yew, arbutus, and the occasional juniper as well. A few alder... and the second largest dogwood in BC. One section is 1/3 old growth fir its named “the Big Trees” for a reason.

Fires are a natural part of the life cycle of forests... and poplar is one of the first things to grow back in. It’s tragic when it happens, and the effects it has on communities. But it is natural...

@Purple_grape84
I'm just west of Stony Plain..I'm raising Silkies. :frow
Welcome..:wee
@chickens really

Hi, it is so good to get in touch with other ppl from the same area, especially with the local weather conditions, we need to share as many tips as we can. On that note, I have two silkies, not sure of age, prob less than one year, male and female, I brought them inside when it got really cold, I heard they couldn't handle the cold like other breeds because of their feathers. They are happily hanging out in my basement in a small concrete floored room, crowing in the morning and chatting happily at me when I check on them. From your experience is it true that they can't handle the cold? When should I put them back out again?

@chickens really

Hi, it is so good to get in touch with other ppl from the same area, especially with the local weather conditions, we need to share as many tips as we can. On that note, I have two silkies, not sure of age, prob less than one year, male and female, I brought them inside when it got really cold, I heard they couldn't handle the cold like other breeds because of their feathers. They are happily hanging out in my basement in a small concrete floored room, crowing in the morning and chatting happily at me when I check on them. From your experience is it true that they can't handle the cold? When should I put them back out again?
I run heat in my Coop for my Silkies and make a nice fluffy bed of straw to cuddle into. I have a Silkie Hen hatching in my garage Brooder under heat as I type this. They definitely shut down when it's below -10C
Also it's great of you to connect with me...

Back
Top Bottom