Canadians check in here....

Hello fellow Canucks!

I am a very new member and i don't have any chickens yet. quite frankly i just have no idea where to get them as i am, and have always been *sniff* a city girl.

I live in Ottawa and i am planning my foray into the wonderful world of urban chicken keeping! I will be building my tractor this weekend and Im hoping someone can point me in the right direction for aquiring chicks or pullets.

This looks like a wonderful place and i am starting to get excited about raising a hen or 2.

GO HABS GO!!!!

Hey Sarah!
Not sure if this was already mentioned but in case it has not: you may want to look up "Poule en folie" in Gatineau. It is not too far out from Ottawa.

Hey, I am in Alberta, near Edmonton. I am looking to buy eggs , chicks or adults. Heard of 2 hatcheries, one in Canada and either their chicks were sick or lot of deformities. I would rather buy off someone private if possible. I am needing someone willing to put birds on bus or some other transportation as I am injured and can't drive too far.
List of what I need, rosecomb, old english game, golden & silver laced polish, buff polish, sultans, crevecoeur, mottled houdan, spitzhaubens, silver pheonix, dorkings, cucoo marans, yokohama, Silver duckwing- hens, seabrite rooster-light orange or cream, colored frizzles and mandrin ducks.
I am also willing to trade. I have white, india blue and black shoulder peacocks, red-golden and lady amhurst pheasants, light & dark brown, east india & white call ducks. White and black & white crested ducks. Red, white & black silkeys, white crested black polish, silver & gold sebrites, buff-black tail japanese, white frizzles.
Red burbon and wild turkeys.
Also have mini donkeys that keep all the coyotes away from my birds.
Hi there. Did you find crevecoeurs?

Hi!

I wonder if you guys could help me. We see from Northern Ireland, but my husband works for a Canadain company and so we have the opportunity to move over. He works remotely so he can literally work anywhere with a decent internet connection.

Canada is so vast we just need.some help to narrow down areas to consider living in.

We would be moving with 4 kids aged 1-12 so we need access to schools, extra-curricular activities etc. We would like somewhere that gets warm, mostly dry summers and winters that you can ski during. My eldest is into his skiing, but is still pretty amateur so a few slopes is totally fine, doesn't have to be world class runs.

We are looking for somewhere that there's plenty to do outside and affordable housing. Preferably less than 2 hours away from an airport as we expect we would get a lot of family visiting.

Any ideas? Help much appreciated!

Hi Albertan, I'm in Calgary, I have a small flock of Japanese quail.
Oh nice!!! I am going to have to look those up! I am East of Calgary, between Conrich and Kathryn. I have 13 hens/ pullets between 5 and 15 weeks. Silkie, Amerucaunas, Australorps, Bovan brown, brown Leghorn, Barred Rock, RLBW, Lohman white, Olive Egger, Easter Egger and a BCM!

Oh nice!!! I am going to have to look those up! I am East of Calgary, between Conrich and Kathryn. I have 13 hens/ pullets between 5 and 15 weeks. Silkie, Amerucaunas, Australorps, Bovan brown, brown Leghorn, Barred Rock, RLBW, Lohman white, Olive Egger, Easter Egger and a BCM!
Ahhh cool, not far away at all! I can only dream.... chicken dreams. LOL
That's awesome, I love the different colors of chickens. I was getting some chicken eggs from a lady from in between those areas while I was passing throu for work a few years ago, until I got quail. I get enough eggs outta quail to make up for chickens. They don't need as big a space as chickens, and chickens are a no no in city, but of course there are some who are trying their luck regardless. It is getting that time to hatch some more quail also but I will wait abit yet, maybe closer to March ?, they do mature in 6+ weeks for the freezer (mostly males ) and females will start laying between 6 to 9 weeks old. I grew up in country and we had alot of different animals.

Back
Top Bottom