Canadians check in here....

My daughter is going duck crazy this year and begging for a pair.... am I going to regret ducks if I give in? 🤔 And I don't know where the heck I'd get them at this point, if I order from anyone now, I won't see them until the end of the freaking summer.

Ducks are fun and amazing especially if free ranged. I like their eggs better than chickens. They are smarter than chickens and they always stay together. The only con is they eat a lot more than any chicken. People say they're messy - but if you have a good set up it's easy to fix that. If you hold them lots when they're young you will get friendly ducks otherwise they're not too fond of being close to people. Some breeds are a lot less flighty. Khaki campbells are the most common breed you will likely find. They're great layers and docile for ducks. I have seen lots of them available on craigslist/ kijiji, and fb forums every year late april/may the adds start to pop-up. Muskovy ducks are also very common, they are larger than layer ducks and mostly kept as a meat.

When I was young, mom always kept a duck with the chickens. The duck taught the chickens to float on the pond. She still keeps a duck with her chickens to this day.

Happy Easter everyone! I have my new basket already!!!

Attachments

• PXL_20220414_001509315.jpg
    PXL_20220414_001509315.jpg
    472.1 KB · Views: 1
Hi all! 👋 I'm in Ontario. Been living in a rural area outside Peterborough for almost 3 years and fianlly making the leap into chickens this year. I have 6 pullets arriving in September from freys. Didn't realize you have to order so far ahead. 😅 buuuut since I've just started to build my coop, the timing is for the best. What are the chances I'll actually get eggs before they quit laying for the winter?

Hi all! 👋 I'm in Ontario. Been living in a rural area outside Peterborough for almost 3 years and fianlly making the leap into chickens this year. I have 6 pullets arriving in September from freys. Didn't realize you have to order so far ahead. 😅 buuuut since I've just started to build my coop, the timing is for the best. What are the chances I'll actually get eggs before they quit laying for the winter?
Welcome to the most rewarding hobby on earth! First year with chickens is always the harder, and there will be hiccups, but the amazing feeling of getting those eggs trumps all! Especially if you're one of those people who takes pride in winning over the hearts of your flock!

What breeds did you get? A lot of first year Point of Lay birds will lay through their first winter, so you could get lucky!

:welcome

Peterborough.... all the nice breeds seem to be out that way. I missed my chance to get a showgirl pillet out that way not to long ago :(

Back
Top Bottom