I decided to try a mystery box from breezy bird farm. I got;
polish
olive egger
chanteclar
Houdan
jersey giant
Orpington
Maran
Then couldn’t resist adding 2 svart hona eggs in lol. I was able to see development in 8 eggs last night! Have another hatch planned for April with all Maran, Ameraucana and Cochin.
Wow! That is going to be a lot of peeping! :D

I did the silly thing of hatching out some eggs my OEGB layed (and letting the broodie keep a few to hatch, too) and currently have... too many in my tiny house, lol! Ten on their own, and two were raised by Momma with the other OEGB. And yes, the adults are also inside because I was silly and never got their coop build before winter hit. So that is currently 17 chickens, three rabbits, three cats, and one big dog. In a 30' trailer.

Of course, that's not counting the outdoor chickens, ducks, and rabbits.

I have been told to seek help, lol!

Joining in from Nova Scotia! No chickens yet and on day 3 of incubating eggs 🐣
Wow! That is going to be a lot of peeping! :D

I did the silly thing of hatching out some eggs my OEGB layed (and letting the broodie keep a few to hatch, too) and currently have... too many in my tiny house, lol! Ten on their own, and two were raised by Momma with the other OEGB. And yes, the adults are also inside because I was silly and never got their coop build before winter hit. So that is currently 17 chickens, three rabbits, three cats, and one big dog. In a 30' trailer.

Of course, that's not counting the outdoor chickens, ducks, and rabbits.

I have been told to seek help, lol!
Haha 😂 I think we have similar problems! I knew I was going to have to keep the chicks in longer than normal with our temps (and a Feb hatch in NS). So I may have quite a few chicks, 3 dogs and a cat to manage inside! I’m building my coop now on the days when it’s nice. I’m getting pretty close!

Haha 😂 I think we have similar problems! I knew I was going to have to keep the chicks in longer than normal with our temps (and a Feb hatch in NS). So I may have quite a few chicks, 3 dogs and a cat to manage inside! I’m building my coop now on the days when it’s nice. I’m getting pretty close!
I would have to dig through several feet of snow to be able to build anything (and get an industrial sized hairdryer to get the wood unstuck) right now. And it's STILL snowing. But yeah, I've seen the kind of storms you get in the Maritimes. No thank you! I'd move south if it wasn't for the fact that I'd have to live in the States, lol! (absolutely no offense meant to all my American friends!!!)

My boyfriend lives in New York City, but he wants to get a nice parcel of land and set up a homestead. I'm already making plans, in my head, about what sort of critters I want to add.

I would have to dig through several feet of snow to be able to build anything (and get an industrial sized hairdryer to get the wood unstuck) right now. And it's STILL snowing. But yeah, I've seen the kind of storms you get in the Maritimes. No thank you! I'd move south if it wasn't for the fact that I'd have to live in the States, lol! (absolutely no offense meant to all my American friends!!!)

My boyfriend lives in New York City, but he wants to get a nice parcel of land and set up a homestead. I'm already making plans, in my head, about what sort of critters I want to add.
Ohh nice! Goats have always been on my wish list :) I have an acre here but would love to have lots of land. A homestead would be a dream! My husband isn’t as into it but…..I may or may not just do things anyway (aka chickens lol).

The weather here is soooo unpredictable! Right now 2c next week -20c. It’s been a really weird winter with warmer than normal temps. In the fall we had a hurricane and the power was out for 7 days. If you go to NS you have to pack for all 4 seasons no matter what time you come lol

Goats have always been on my wish list :) I have an acre here
You could have a few goats on an acre as long as you aren’t in an area where it’s against bylaw. I currently have 4 sheep and 9 chickens on about an acre (I have another acre, but I’m not really using it right now. Once my flock grows a bit more I’ll need it again). I had goats before, but actually like the sheep a lot better—a fact that surprised me!

I’m not on here much since I prefer BYH, but it’s not working at the moment, so I thought I’d stop in.
So, hi again from southern Ontario :frow

You could have a few goats on an acre as long as you aren’t in an area where it’s against bylaw. I currently have 4 sheep and 9 chickens on about an acre (I have another acre, but I’m not really using it right now. Once my flock grows a bit more I’ll need it again). I had goats before, but actually like the sheep a lot better—a fact that surprised me!

I’m not on here much since I prefer BYH, but it’s not working at the moment, so I thought I’d stop in.
So, hi again from southern Ontario :frow
My husband actually does like sheep :) his family is from Newfoundland and they had sheep there. Maybe that’s my ticket to get him on board lol.

We can have goats/livestock here we are rural. More about saving and planning for infrastructure. We also have a heavy wooded area that takes up about a 1/4 of the land.

I've been thinking goats too (we have about ten acres here, my daughter's property, mostly wooded) but a lot of people have been steering me towards sheep... So, I don't know anymore, lol! I'm just not crazy about having to shear them every so often. Pain in the b***.

We may be getting a small pony on loan this summer to help clear out a bit of the deadfall from our forest. That's another thing I want: horses! Boyfriend is actually afraid of them, lol. He just hasn't met the right horse. Also would love to get a mule or donkey (or more).

I keep upsetting my daughter by bringing in more and more animals, lol. I now just sneak them in, and not tell her. ;)

I can't remember who, but someone had recommended Performance Poultry in Ontario and I just got their price list, so thought I'd share for those that are fairly local.

I may have to take the 2 hour drive there and get myself some new birds! (shhhh, don't tell my daughter!)

Attachments

• Performance Poultry Price List 2023-G.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom