Canadians check in here....

I'm in the Kingston, Ontario area and new to keeping chickens - this will be our first winter. I'm not planning to heat, I'm more concerned about shoveling a path to the coop!

Peke's Poultry :

I'm in the Kingston, Ontario area and new to keeping chickens - this will be our first winter. I'm not planning to heat, I'm more concerned about shoveling a path to the coop!

Same here! And working with frozen water
roll.png

I'm going to go all out and get the waterer with the heated base. What are you doing for the run?​

I got an aquarium heater from ebay and I'm going to try that. I use a large bucket with nipples, that seems fine so far but I'll put the heater in the bucket soon. The coop pop door is open all the time for them to go back in. Then I bring out some water to put in a large dish outside. I don't think that will work for much longer.

Last edited:
Some farm supply stores or pet stores sell the heated dog watering bowls. We actually use a heated horse waterer in our outdoor run. The heated dog bowls are available at Princess Auto, TSC stores and I think Canadian Tire had them a few years ago but I don't know if they still sell them. The heated horse waterers are available at some feed stores and TSC.

Are you using the heated horse water buckets? If so Do you cut an opening in the side ? For the birds to drink more easily ?...Do you find them too deep? I have seen them at the feed store and I was wondering ?.....
Hello Neighbour!
Hope all is well...

howdy neighbour

I never thought about cutting holes in the sides HMMMMM interesting. They are deep but we cover it up so only that only a very small section is open. Another thing my hubby uses in the pigeon loft is the small 2 1/2 gallon pails with lids. He does cut holes in the sides, about 4 inches from the bottom. He puts about 3 or so inches of water in them and then covers the pail with it's lid. The whole bucket sits on a small metal box that he made out of scarp sheet metal. In the box in a lightbulb. The heat from the lightbulb is enough to keep the few inches of water from freezing. When we add ACV to the water it also changes the freezing point of the water.

Hey there! I'm out here in the middle of the prairies just out side of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and I can honestly say that it just started to freeze my girls water recently as we're having a dandy fall:) Winter hasn't hit us yet but I'm sure we'll get a dandy dose soon. I've been taking the ladies out water warm from the house and with the heat lamp in the coop it takes till late at night for it to freeze. I have 1 of those plug in dog dishes but I haven't plugged it in yet and I hope I can get away without using it for a bit yet. I think that light bulb in the box is a great idea and I'll try to get the handy hubby to consider that for a project.

Back
Top Bottom