Canadians check in here....

Happy Thanksgiving Neighbors!!

From Michigan!
Thanks, we love Turkey Day
yippiechickie.gif

Thank you for your kind comments on my sppr chickens.

I am truly thankful for my chickens - I feel blessed to have them as part of my life. They are a wonderful source of joy and entertainment.

Looking forward to my retirement in a few years when I can devote lots of time to a breeding program of this heritage breed.

Hope you fellows/gals had a great weekend too!

Hello All Maritimers!  I'm from Minto, NB.  Always lookin to touch base with fellow local chicken farmers. This is my first year with chickens and I'm having a blast.  I started out with 32 chickens from 3 different places, 4 different breeds.  My goal was to have 12 laying hens, 1 or 2 roosters.  Well after 5 died by dog, 1 was sick and had to be culled, I have exactly that: 12 hens and 14 ROOSTERS!  I've got 2-Silver-laced Wyandottes, 5 speckled sussex, and 5 Chantecler roosters that I have to get rid of.  They are from 4-6 months old.  If anyone is interested, Im sure we can work something out.  Otherwise they are gonna have to be culled as much as I hate having to do it.  Anyone have a good home for a few roosters?
Did you get your Wyandottes from C&S Poultry? I have two SLW pullets from there, and I find they run on the small side. VERY pretty though!

Welcome Maritimers:weee

I'm just across the Northumberland Strait in PEI.  I'm raising silver-pencilled Plymouth Rocks.  Do you know anyone else who have these in the Maritimes?

I think I've mentioned it before on the Plymouth Rock thread, but Tony Eisnor has them in NS.

Hello Benwanteggs

I like your coop. Well done!

It will need a couple of coats of paint to keep it from becoming water-logged.
Chip board is notorious for soaking up water and then turning moldy and rotten.

Otherwise, it looks like you are well prepared for winter.

As you probably know, we sometimes get high drifts of snow in the Maritimes. I sometimes have to shovel a path and clear the snow around my coop just to feed and water. If the coop is placed where snow usually accumulates then it could easily become covered. Last winter I moved my coop to the south side of a 6 ft board fence and it was much easier to reach throughout the winter, because snow didn't pile up around it.

Good luck! and may you be blessed with many eggs. Looks like you have good egg layers
droolin.gif

Hi!

New to the boards... From just outside of Saskatoon Saskachewan. We currently have 2 bantam black Cochin hens 1 black bantam Cochin rooster, 1 hen one rooster bantam Silkies. 3 white leghorns hens, 1 red ISA, and 1 zebra looking girl. We also have 4 turkeys blue slate and chocolate 2 hens 2 toms.

We are new to raising chickens and are about 3 months into it! It's definitely been a learning experience!

We are having a blast with a pile of trial and error. But the chickens have such personalities and put up with our stupid human behaviours lol they have even gotten accepting of our children. The chickens allow our 4 year old to pick them up ( tought him now and how it's not ok to chase them if they don't want to be held) and our sassy Cochin rooster "jet" has finally developed his cock-a-doodle-doo and will "talk" to us whenever he sees us. He is quite the little rooster.

We get on average 4-6 eggs a day and have been loving the educational (not only tasty eggs) its teaching our kids!!!

Can't wait to add more chickens to our family! My husband says they were not suppose to be pets... But... Shhh... He's totally as attached as the rest of us our to them!

Back
Top Bottom