Canary died, but how??

Mar 6, 2019
UK
I had 2 canarys named robin and buttercup, they got along well and somtimes used to sing together but were not like bffs.
so here in Britain it’s been really cold, rainy, stormy and extremely windy.
so they live in the conservatory.
next day I found him in the water head first.
he could not of drowned because he always uses it and he Can easily lift his head out.
what I think that maybe somthing banged against the window and he got shocked and died on the spot and fell in.
he was always jumpy and scared of everything, even new foods.
what do you think.

My father always kept canaries, in outside avaries in the Breacon Beacons and regulary had to break the ice on the water in winter for them. They adapt to their environment so please do not feel you were neglegent in any way. Whatever it was that she/he died of will be something you may never find out, these things happen sometimes, as sad as it is.

It isn't overly complicated to determine what environmental conditions, feedstuffs, water, bathing etc. animals need. If we don't provide that, we sometmes have problems.
If I lose an animal, I assume it is my fault and look at every condition I've provided and determine what I should have done differently.

I'm very sorry you lost your bird. I will say that in the UK canaries are regularly kept in aviaries outdoors, even when it gets cold (sometimes with a heater). The usual advice is to keep them above 8 Celcius /43 F, which is much colder than their native environment. I wouldn't keep like that, but I've seen how they can be pretty hardy, based on the ones I've seen outdoors here in Scotland. I'm not sure if the cold was the reason especially if they are used to being there [although warmer temperatures would help].
If the waterer is as dirty as you say maybe there is a husbandry issue, or the bird wasn't expecting the different dimensions of the waterer and didn't recognize the change before it was too late.

Their waterer was in need of a deep clean so I got them a temporary waterer which was a small jar, which they are very familiar with.

It might be hard to know exactly what happened. In the UK this weekend we are having a severe weather situation (Storm Dennis). OP's initial suggestion that a shock from a sound outside could have spooked the bird is certainly possible. Indoors my house you can hear the wind howling and the branches flying around outside, its incredibly noisy and violent. Will need to sleep with earplugs tonight. I think its a very good idea you moved them from the windows, it is incredibly loud and chaotic out there. Stay safe!

Just because they spent 2 British winters, doesn't mean they were fine with that.
It is the responsibility of an owner of animals to provide an optimal environment- that they evolved genetically to need.

Can you post a picture of the waterer ? Many years ago I had a male canary who managed to squeeze into a small plastic waterer and drown himself. I have always wondered what made 'Johnboy Bird' do that. Was he trying to bathe, or was he considering the waterer as a nest site ? Some things just make no sense.

I don't want to argue about this, but the bottom line is 53F is too cold for a canary.
My wife had a male betta in an aquarium without a heater that went down to the low 60s. He was lethargic. I put a heat pad under it and brought the temperature to 75F. He is much more active and I'm sure he will live much longer.

It isn't overly complicated to determine what environmental conditions, feedstuffs, water, bathing etc. animals need. If we don't provide that, we sometmes have problems.
If I lose an animal, I assume it is my fault and look at every condition I've provided and determine what I should have done differently.

that’s exactly what I do, and probably many other animal

Back
Top Bottom