Candeling and hatching diary.

Now there are three chicks with one about to hatch! One pipped egg, two eggs peeping inside with no pips, but we're still good on time I think. My lone duckling from this batch has me worried a bit. Now 24 hours from pip and this is all the progress it's made. The beak looks dried out. @Lacrystol , what do you think?
Hour long as the duck been pipped? I'd put some neosporin in the hole if you can without getting it on the baby's nose

Pipped now just over 24 hours. Just checked, the baby is still alive and seems ok.

Ducks take their sweet time hatching. After 36 hours I make the hole slightly larger so I can really see in and the moisten the membrane and check to see if they have absorbed all the blood. If not then I put a damp paper towel over the hole u made, do not cover the bill tho. If they have then I put them back and watch

So I am back. Kids did ok with the chicks I missed two different hatchings but the kids managed them with some lost chicks but its ok. Unfortuantly my foster dad did pass away on Thursday morning I am aheart broken but life goes on and everyday is a little bit easier I have a giant hatch coming up at the end of this week and need to clear out as many as possible befor they start hatching. I have ducks and chicks hatching. I hope every one else has been reasonable luck I am going to go back and try to play catch up.

Thx for the warning about the green stuff!!!
I would have been concerned!!! I originally bought five sebastopol eggs. $125.00 plus shipping. They had a hard trip and none developed. The lady I bought from was very nice and included the two duck eggs in that shipment... She also replaced some of the goose eggs and I thought overnight delivery might give me some hatching results....that cost another hundred bucks! Still no hatching goose eggs... So... I have that amount invested in these two surviving eggs! I don't blame the lady I bought from. I've since researched and evidently goose eggs are really tough to successfully ship....I ordered 15 "show Quality" frizzle eggs from strum ergs.... They arrived in terrible shape! Very poor packaging! Out of 15.....I have FOUR developing.....sigh....

I feel your pain. I also bought from that hatchery last summer. They shipped from Ohio, not Minnesota where the hatchery is located.... I purposely chose them because I thought they were close to Wisconsin. I received a broken egg, one VERY pourous egg, one totally round and one pointy on both ends. All but 3 air cells were displaced out of 15. I had a hatch of 1 on its own, one assisted and required stimulation, and one dead in shell--pipped in wrong part of egg. They were fertile, but I think shipping didn't help and 4 eggs not good specimens from the start. I am so hesitant to ship again. I would love to try duck eggs. Good luck. Scooter16

So I am back. Kids did ok with the chicks I missed two different hatchings but the kids managed them with some lost chicks but its ok. Unfortuantly my foster dad did pass away on Thursday morning I am aheart broken but life goes on and everyday is a little bit easier I have a giant hatch coming up at the end of this week and need to clear out as many as possible befor they start hatching. I have ducks and chicks hatching. I hope every one else has been reasonable luck I am going to go back and try to play catch up.

So sorry for your loss. I have been covertly reading this thread. Rooting for your "giant hatch". LMS

Back
Top Bottom