candeling brown eggs....got some good tips for me?

magsrags

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
Staten Island NY
Any helpful tips appreciated. My first try at candeling dark brown eggs.
frow.gif

a really REALLY good flashlight. I have a picture on my page of the one I use. Someone said they liked the $2.50 keychain light and I had one of those at home already and it worked good too.

The keychain light I got at Wal-Mart, it was on one of the pegs at the checkstand. I got it cause my dog loves to chase the little light but it worked really good on the eggs too. The small barrel size (about the diameter of a pen) is perfect cause it will sit flush against the shell directing all the light into the the egg without having to build some contraption to adapt a larger light for the same job.

Michelle

Thanks! I have one of those key chain lights!
I'd bought a really good mag light that works on every other egg no problem....but it just ain't "doing the job" with these dark eggs at all..
clap.gif

Some of my really dark ones I had to shine it at an angle, across the airsac towards the opposite wall of the shell to illuminate the developing embryo.

Michelle

I was having trouble candling my dark marans egg until I bought an old slide projector off craigslist for $10.

Works great! I don't really even have to candle in a completely dark room!

Quote:
What a terrible problem to have.
lol.png
Maggie, I also use an old slide projector. I can never see the veining, only the airsac and some darkness which is the chick. The flip side is I can easily tell the clear eggs......They are see through, practically.

I hope they hatch!

Back
Top Bottom