Candeling Dark Eggs

jlgoinggreen

Songster
12 Years
Sep 25, 2009
South Central PA
What happens if you can't candle dark eggs at all? I am on day 7 of incubating. I have an LED flashlight and the light just won't go through the eggs at all. I can't see anything except one egg. On that egg it seems like the small side has the air sac. Is that even possible? I thought the air sac was always on the larger/fatter side???

You dont NEED to candle an egg, it will hatch or it will not.

I would just wait.

Good luck!
big_smile.png

I never have the philosophy of "just let it hatch, don't candle it"

The key is having a bright flashlight. Next is. . .

If it is infertile, it will glow uniformly a dark blood red color.

If it is fertile, move the flashlight or egg around to view different angles. About 90% of the egg should be impenetrable. Black. But, both ends of it should have a slight red glow. You should be able to see the boundary between black and just "dark red"
smile.png

Quote:
but if your not proficient at candling you can toss a good egg, it will not hurt to keep all eggs in the 'bator all through incubation, even those of use who have done it alot can guess wrong, with me if I'm not positive I leave it in

Last edited:
Quote:
How long before they start to smell? Mine have been in 8 days. I tried candling them last night on day 7 with no luck. I thought I had a bright flashlight. The brightest one in my house at least, but the egg was completely dark.
sad.png

the only way infertile eggs smell is if they are rotten, if rotten there needs to be a crack in the shell, or it takes over 4-5 weeks for an egg to go bad even at 100 degrees, not in the time of incubating, think a hen sits for 21 days, if there fertile or not, if they went bad in the 21 days a hen would be full of exploded egg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom