Candeling on day 18-also humidity question

JenaRN

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
Ohio
This is my first time incubating. I candled some of my eggs today and there is stuff floating around in 1 of them and the others look as if they stopped developing. I'm going to leave them in until day 21 for sure but I think they aren't going to make it.

I've had the humidity around 50-70 percent. The instructions said it was fine but I researched on here and found mixed reviews. What should the humidity be during lockdown? Did I kill me eggies?
sad.png

The eggs should almost be filled with a baby chick and should look really dark/black. if you can see through them they are probably not going to hatch. I can't amswer your humidity question because i do not check my humidity. Here is how I incubate eggs
1. I fill the tray with water place turner in, let incubator run 3 days get temp right
2. take out thermometer add eggs leave alone
3. candle at day 10 remove any bad eggs, check water in tray add more if needed
4. candle at day 18 remove any bad eggs, remove turner, add more water.

This method works for me. I have found the more I messed with things like temp and hunidity and if I candled often. the lower hatch rate I had

This is my first time incubating. I candled some of my eggs today and there is stuff floating around in 1 of them and the others look as if they stopped developing. I'm going to leave them in until day 21 for sure but I think they aren't going to make it.

I've had the humidity around 50-70 percent. The instructions said it was fine but I researched on here and found mixed reviews. What should the humidity be during lockdown? Did I kill me eggies?
sad.png

Your humdity for the first 18 days has been way to high. 50% is high but 70 is way to high. In the first 18 days you want the air cell to grow so it will sustain a chick when it is time to hatch. For me I have found for the first 18 days my humidity ranges from about 38-42. It has dropped below that for a few hours and I just add more water. Now, some people do incubate at 50% for the first 18 days but me personally I have found that that does not work for me and most of my chicks drown w/ the humidity at 50%. At Day 18 you should up the humidity. Some say 60-65%. I personally think that is still a bit high. I up my humidity to around 55% and once chicks start hatching it will raise the humidity even more. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom