Candeling question

Barbara9642

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 5, 2009
OK, I'm Back!!!

I have some Leghorn eggs (i found the birds a couple weeks ago local, and the man was giving them away.)-

Anyway, I started my first incubator hatch on 8-1. We candled tonight, and the pictures are matching what is on the site here, good air pockets, bits of little blobs, that sort of thing. Except I have a few, 4-5, that have this ring- can anybody explain this?

This is the best picture we could get, but it is a ring that goes around the inside, it is very defined, and even though the one end looks dark in the picture, it is not very dark on the actual egg.
Thanks!

could be a blood ring. but i cant tell. shine it from the top and look at it. it might show more of whats going on in there. keep them for a few more days it it don change get rid of them.

Wait 2 days, candle those again, and see if there are any veins. A blood ring is formed by the blood draining from the veins and then bacteria will start growing. Within a day or 2 of the embryo dying all the veins will be gone and a blood ring will be in it's place. If left even longer these eggs will eventually turn cloudy with dark swirls and no red blood left.

If the veins are still visible in a couple days the chick is still alive and the ring is just a mass of veins forming which will probably even out as it gets further along.

OK, I candled again tonight, and they mostly cleared. The one I took the picture of still has a faint ring, but it also has a dark spot like all the others, as in looks big enough to maybe be a chick. I do have one egg that has a black spot inside of it. Not a little spot either. I have removed it from the incubator and it is in a ziploc,- if anybody is up, can you tell me is this dead? I think so, but I would hate to throw it away if it isn't.

My other 11 eggs have good air sacs, and dark areas, look like chicks (I hope). I set them on the 1st, should I have movement? I am going away this weekend, leaving sunday, coming home tuesday. If my math is right I will remove the turner wednesday. I taught the neighbor how to add water to the incubator- does this sound to you guys like my math is right and the days are correct?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom