Candled Eggs Question? Day 23

mstrrlm

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 23, 2011
Picayune, MS
1. Checked eggs that haven't hatched and are all black with exception of slanted air cell. Some I can see veins a little around edge but didn't notice movement, are these still viable?

2. Read somewhere I believe that the slanted air cell means ready to hatch is that correct?

3. If egg is black excepts air cell, but can't see veins or movement is the egg dead?

4.If egg is black excepts air cell, but can see veins or and no movement is the egg dead?

If you on day 23 with the eggs then they probably won't hatch. There could be a problem with the humidity or something else. It sounds like you have chicks in them but they might be dead. I would keep them in the incubator for another day or two just in case they start to hatch. Uselly eggs stop jatchin at day 21-24. I hope this helps you.

There are many reaons why an egg doesn't hatch. I usually give them another 7 days because I don't want to give up. ANd I have have read of many people hatching very late chicks-- a week over due. Not saying these will hatch but wait and see. Then if nada, toss them. GL

1.)Slanted air sacs don't always mean the chick is ready to hatch.
If you see shadows inside the air sac, or a tiny beak inside the air sac, that's when they
are ready to hatch.

2.)This late into incubation, it'll be hard to see any movement. Not seeing any veins
above the air sac is a bit worry some. What color are the eggs, and what kind of flashlight
are you using to candle? Dark eggs and a dull flashlight make it harder to see details inside
the egg, which could be the reason why it appears no veins exist.

Tell me, did you have humidity or temperature problems during incubation? If so this may be
the cause for your late hatch, and the eggs are likely still alive.

Don't give up, give them a couple more days. I once had a chick hatch on the 26th, almost
27th day of incubation, due to low temperatures. You might also be interested in doing a

Float Test

Wishing you luck!
hugs.gif

After reading the posts here, I feel a bit guilty about throwing my 12 eggs out. I think the temp was low the first week due to a tricky to read thermometer. I saw air cells, but it was really hard to tell much else, as these were very dark Marans eggs. On day 24 when I opened the LG to put in water, there was a rotten egg smell and I threw them all out. None had any movement that I could tell. Was I wrong to toss them?

Back
Top Bottom