Candled her eggs w/Photos!

Pampered Hen

Songster
10 Years
Feb 8, 2009
Vermont
Darling Trudy went broody week before last! She sits on her own and adopted turkey eggs. I candled the eggs yesterday (what an awesome experience and steep learning curve!). Among a few questionable ones and one confirmed expired embryo I found a bunch that looked like this - with veins and MOVEMENT:
22603_img_5471.jpg

And another one (kind of hard to photograph - in the dark with one hand...)
22603_img_5467.jpg

The following egg appears to have no development, but I returned it to the nest, in case I'm wrong
22603_img_5462.jpg

This egg looked suspicious. You might be able to see a faint ring of dark around the mass. According to what I had read this ring (blood ring) is an indicator of an embryo that died. After long deliberation I removed this egg and opened it up. I should have taken a photo of what I found! Amazingly, there was an embryo inside the size of a thumbnail. It was dead.
22603_img_5461.jpg

Thanks! I had such fun candling and learning. I will candle again in a couple days to see how things are progressing.

Those were great pics and definitely helps when we need to candle ours!!

On turkey eggs, when are the suggested days for candling after putting in the bator?

Thanks!

Seabreeze: I have two clutches under my hen. Her own eggs were incubated for 9 days (I think!). Those are one ones I took the photos of. I have 8 other eggs that I snug under her a few days later. Those had been incubated for 6 days. I could not see any veins but a dark spot that I assume is the embryo.
I think turkey eggs are pretty tough to candle, at least for a beginner such as myself. With their thick shells and the pigmentation it is much more difficult to determine detail.
Because I can't wait, I will candle some of them again tonight. I don't know how it is with others, but my broody hen is very tame (with me) and allows me to take eggs without creating a stir.

I"ve been wanting to see if my hen that is sitting has good eggs under her. I'm afraid if I go into her domain she will leave and not sit. This is her first time. She had a nest before where my dog found her and she moved. I don't know what happened to the eggs. Some say the dog could have taken them. I doubt she would have carried them to her new condo. Lately I haven't seen her come out. I'll have to check tomorrow to see if she eats. She is very stealth for a big bird......... lol.

Back
Top Bottom