Candled her eggs w/Photos!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Pampered Hen, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Pampered Hen

Pampered Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Vermont
    Darling Trudy went broody week before last! She sits on her own and adopted turkey eggs. I candled the eggs yesterday (what an awesome experience and steep learning curve!). Among a few questionable ones and one confirmed expired embryo I found a bunch that looked like this - with veins and MOVEMENT:
    [​IMG]
    And another one (kind of hard to photograph - in the dark with one hand...)
    [​IMG]
    The following egg appears to have no development, but I returned it to the nest, in case I'm wrong
    [​IMG]
    This egg looked suspicious. You might be able to see a faint ring of dark around the mass. According to what I had read this ring (blood ring) is an indicator of an embryo that died. After long deliberation I removed this egg and opened it up. I should have taken a photo of what I found! Amazingly, there was an embryo inside the size of a thumbnail. It was dead.
    [​IMG]

2. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Great pics! Thanks for sharing!

3. whenchickensdream

whenchickensdream Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2009
    That is so fascinating. I always learn so much. Thank you for sharing.

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I love the pics. Thank you so much for sharing.

[​IMG]

5. Pampered Hen

Feb 8, 2009
    Vermont
    Thanks! I had such fun candling and learning. I will candle again in a couple days to see how things are progressing.

6. seabreeze

seabreeze Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Scio, OR
    Those were great pics and definitely helps when we need to candle ours!!

On turkey eggs, when are the suggested days for candling after putting in the bator?

Thanks!

7. Pampered Hen

Feb 8, 2009
    Vermont
    Seabreeze: I have two clutches under my hen. Her own eggs were incubated for 9 days (I think!). Those are one ones I took the photos of. I have 8 other eggs that I snug under her a few days later. Those had been incubated for 6 days. I could not see any veins but a dark spot that I assume is the embryo.
    I think turkey eggs are pretty tough to candle, at least for a beginner such as myself. With their thick shells and the pigmentation it is much more difficult to determine detail.
    Because I can't wait, I will candle some of them again tonight. I don't know how it is with others, but my broody hen is very tame (with me) and allows me to take eggs without creating a stir.

8. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I"ve been wanting to see if my hen that is sitting has good eggs under her. I'm afraid if I go into her domain she will leave and not sit. This is her first time. She had a nest before where my dog found her and she moved. I don't know what happened to the eggs. Some say the dog could have taken them. I doubt she would have carried them to her new condo. Lately I haven't seen her come out. I'll have to check tomorrow to see if she eats. She is very stealth for a big bird......... lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by