Candleing question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by taraann81, Apr 24, 2009.

1. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Hi everyone, I am on day 9 with my muscovy eggs. 2 were clear which was obvious the other ones show veining with a dark spot in the middle. Is this the embryo developing? I would say it looks like a blood shot eye. A dark spot with veining coming from it. I am just unsure because I've read that a dark spot is not a good thing. I have no luck trying to take pics of candling, they just look too dark to be able to see.
    I would like to assume that as long as I see veining the dark spot doesn't matter, but I am looking for reassurance!
    Thanks so much

2. roxie03

roxie03 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    I'm no expert (only had 4 hatches) but I would say what you are seeing is exactly as it should be.

3. OCchickens

OCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    You can look at it again in a day or two. If it's a good egg you'll see more veining & clear development; if it's a dead embryo, it will look the same or the veining will start to become more faint or form a blood ring.

Having said that, even if I think it might be dead, I always give it ample time to make sure I'm not disrupting a good embryo & don't let my pessimism get the best of me. I've been pleasantly surpised more than once!

Yours sound good, though -- good luck!

4. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Thanks guys. I will give it more time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by