Candleing question.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicknmania, Apr 8, 2011.

1. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Our eggs have been in the bator ten days. They are light green. Today we tried to
    candle them and I'm confused. We can see dark masses, there are two that appear to be
    all dark inside with no lighter area at all. There are a few that have sort of an undefined dark mass,
    with a lighter area around them, maybe. But if I look at a green egg from the refrigerator I can see
    the yolk. The eggs in the bator don't resemble the refrigerator egg, but I sure can't tell if what i'm
    looking at is chick or yolk. I guess my question is..would it logical to assume that the eggs that are all
    dark inside contain embryos, and the others are questionable? These eggs are so special....[​IMG]

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

When I have hard to candle eggs, I just leave them in the bator [​IMG] I know - no help at all [​IMG]

3. Badbaby05

Badbaby05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Shine bright light on one end or the other. Turn slowly keeping pointy end or broad end at the light. You'll see vein and shadows. Be patient, do in a very dark room and allow your eyes to adjust. Once you see something you my be rewarded with some movement.

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Quote:Ditto. As long as it don't stink, back in it goes. I figure I will find out eventually.

5. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Thanks! [​IMG] We're going to try to candle them again at fifteen days. There's been once or twice
    at least where I could've SWORN I saw an egg move...hopefully not wishful
    thinking..that's what I planned to do anyway, is just leave em in there...hope
    springs eternal...[​IMG]

6. artathart

artathart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    I have 8 Americauna eggs (Green/blue) and I have the same problem with them and all my eggs for that matter. Now some of them I can clearly see veins and a embryo but in the others, just a dark mass in the egg. I have 2 where I cannot even shine light thru the egg because its seems like the yolk takes up the whole egg!!! I am on day 9 and I am going to Lowes to get a better flashlight hoping that might help. What kind of flash light are you using? I have a 9 bulb LED light which I thought would be super bright but its really not. I have yet to see movement in any or my eggs while others have. I am hoping with the new flashlight, I will have better results. Post some pics of your eggs next time you candle.

7. tmoore8595

tmoore8595 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Jefferson County, Al.
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  8. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Hi I am using a mini LED light in a dark room and we made a "candler" out of a popcan to better direct the light through the egg,
    but that's the way mine are..some I can see a dark mass and one or two the whole inside of the egg is dark! What we see does
    look different than a plain egg from the fridge. I'm gonna look for a brighter light. I'll try to post some pics. Thanks for the info,
    everyone, so far.

9. chena16c

chena16c Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I just bought a 96 lumes LED small flashlight at Walmart for around $17. It works wonders on those darker/green eggs!

10. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    I'm there as well. Mine are Marans (dark eggs) and all I see are dark blobs, but I do see air cells in a few. I'm just leaving them all in and going into lockdown on Monday, which is Day 18 and praying for the best. They were shipped eggs, so if I get 1 or 2 out of the 7 I'll be thrilled. Good luck everybody!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by