Candlers Anonymous

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by brijay2, Nov 22, 2011.

1. brijay2

brijay2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    Waddell AZ
    Hi my name is Bonnie and I am a member of candlers anonymous!!! I candled at 3 days (shipped eggs) to check for air cells and fertility. I saw nothing, changed the batteries in my lenser (flashlight) and candled at 5 days. Out of 18 eggs, 8 are growing, 5 are clear and 5 are quitters I think. So 14 were originally fertile, not too bad for shipped eggs. Left them all in and candled on day 8-same results. Now do I leave those quitters and clear ones in for 5-7 more days and risk one exploding or do I remove them????[​IMG]

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    After 10 days if I dont see anything or anything moving and no veins present I get rid of them. If they start to seep throw them away asap. They are on the verge of exploding.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I don't remove any until at least day 10. I have had some that I thought were quitters and marked those eggs and when I candled at day 18 they were developing but behind the others. They did hatch on day 23.

4. bzbrown

bzbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

I think I need to accept my addiction and sign up here. We are officially on lock down and it's taking all my inner strength to stay away from the bator.

5. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Yeah, I was a candling addict, then I broke one open I thought was dead--and it wasn't!!! [​IMG]

6. crazypetlady

crazypetlady Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't stop candeling either. Every 24 hours seem soooo long that it doesn't even seem like I have candled when I know I have. It's sooo hard to waait

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by