Candlers

toxo

Songster
12 Years
Jun 4, 2009
Gillingham, UK
What makes the best candlers? Torch bulb, LED's (which type), light bulb?
Also, can they be too bright? Can we do any damage to the embryo?

Paul

I'm confused--East Texaroo, do you mean heat is what matters for a brood light? Because it's my understanding that it's the brightness that matters most for candlers, but heat for brooders.

toxo--I'm sorry, but I don't know the answer to your question. I just use whatever flashlight I can find (which is a challenge in my house with three young boys every one of whom likes a good flashlight but can't seem to keep track of it) in a dark room (usually at night with all the lights off). I cup the egg in my hand, with a narrow opening at the bottom for the light to shine through and a larger opening at the top for me to examine the egg through.

Regular bulb, LED bulb, it doesn't really seem to matter. Just that the brighter the better--make sure you have fresh batteries if you're using a battery-powered bulb. I would think something plugged in would be even better, as it can get better power, but I haven't had a chance to find out.

I don't think light can hurt the embryo--just heat (aha--that must be what you meant, east texaroo--sorry!). Just be careful not to leave it on the candler long enough to change the internal temperature of the egg. It should take less than one full minute to see what you need to see anyway, so any flashlight that's cool enough for you to handle is cool enough not to do the egg damage.

Have fun!

Thanks guys.
I'll put it down to another "chicken thing" where nothing is set in stone and everyone has a different way of doing it.
Paul
hmm.png

I use a Surefire flashlight and a dark closet. That flashlight is so bright it will shine through the darkest of eggs. I've even candled super dark Marans eggs with this baby!
smile.png

I think it is interesting that the folks in the British Isles refer to a "flashlight" as a "torch".
lau.gif

To me..., a "torch" is a tool which emits a VERY HOT flame generally using compressed Oxygen and a fuel such as Acetylene or Propane and this tool is used either for WELDING or CUTTING metals!
old.gif

Isn't it amazing that although the British developed the English Language, they have yet to "master it" ???
hide.gif

(Just "funnin'" the "Brits"....
wink.png
lol.png
smile.png

American Revolutionary Half-Breed,
-Junkmanme-
old.gif
duc.gif
lau.gif

The husband is a Law Enforcement Officer- best flashlights in the world. I "borrow" it, and have been using an old paper towel tube- flashlight in one end, egg on the other. I have white eggs- but it has been working great.

Oh, a paper towel (or toilet paper, right?) tube is a great idea! That will channel the light and keep the egg away from the direct heat. Thanks for that!

I wish I had a decent flashlight, but no flashlight in this house ever survives more than a week before being subsumed into the chaos of three young boys, so I dare not invest more than a couple bucks in a new one. Such a shame! But, even a cheap flashlight does well enough to get the job done.

Back
Top Bottom