Candling after 8 days but no veining?

luvfishn

Hatching
Apr 24, 2017
Hi, I've had 10 eggs of which i thought were fertile, in the incubator (jn8-48) for 8 days. I took them out to candle but couldn't see any veins or signs of movement. What do i do? keep it going or give up and start again with different eggs?
I checked a few eggs before collecting this 10 and they looked fertile.

How old were they before setting in the incubator? What temps were they stored at before going in? Did you wash or treat them with anything? If you have dark colored eggs it might just be hard to see so if you're unsure, you can always give it a couple more days.

Ok so the oldest egg was 7 days old.
They were all stored at room temperature before going in.
I never washed or treated them.

Is it necessary they are stored pointy end down before going into the incubator?
Half the eggs are porous, will that have an effect?
I'll give them another candle today and upload some pics. Im half tempted to sacrifice one to see whats going on.

When we've hatched chicks via our buff Orpington, we didn't candle much. We just allowed a good 25 days or so for hatching. If space is not an issue, I'd recommend hanging onto them until well after 3 weeks. Just a personal opinion.

Ok so the oldest egg was 7 days old.
They were all stored at room temperature before going in.
I never washed or treated them.

Is it necessary they are stored pointy end down before going into the incubator?
Half the eggs are porous, will that have an effect?
I'll give them another candle today and upload some pics. Im half tempted to sacrifice one to see whats going on.

Porous eggs do tend to be harder to hatch, from what I've read. If they were my eggs, and there was no sign of development at this point, I'd sacrifice one or two just to be sure.

Update.
Today i decided to sacrifice a couple to see what was going on, turns out not much at all!
After checking a couple to no avail i ended up checking them ALL and nothing. obviously im doing something wrong. Maybe none of them were fertile?
I've grabbed 2 fresh eggs and opened them up, can anyne tell me if these are fertile? click pics for clearer view.

Here's the incubator keeping non fertile eggs warm for 8 days
1f627.png

Last edited:
I'm very new to this but from what I have read and seen these eggs are fertile. The tiny little circle in the yolk is it. Now I may be wrong and someone more experienced can tell us both. I have eggs under a broody hen that I'm wanting to candle to see but I'm scared to mess with them because of this.

Blastodiscs look fertile.....but the whole bullseye thing is not carved in stone.
They also could have been fertilized but not developed for various reasons from both the female and/or male side of things.
Have had eggs from particular females that looked fertile but never developed..
Porous eggs definitely can be an issue, but I have also had porous eggs hatch just fine.

Did you test your thermometers against a known accurate one?
I use a human oral mercury thermometer, figure it's closer than anything else.
Put both that and a waterproof 'incubator' thermometer in a glass of 100F-ish water and compare, noting the difference.

The eggs look fertile to me, but like others said just because they are fertile there is no gurantee they will develope.
I was advised to never use a porous shelled egg, which can be determined before incubating so I took that advice and I recommend the same to you.
I do not wash my eggs before and have fetermined this is a person sonar preference for each person. I simply wipe them off with a dry cloth.
Also was always advised to use the freshest eggs possible, so I have stuck to using ones that were laid the day before or the day of placing in the incubator.
By day 7 along with some veining you should also see a dark mass in the egg if you do not see this mass odds are no development, but I don't pull any until day 10, just to be safe.
And yes pointy side down.
Good luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom