Candling at Day 5

Equine_Angel

Songster
9 Years
Feb 25, 2010
Brentwood Bay, B.C.
So I have candled my eggs yesterday which was Day 5. Out of 26 eggs, 17 have begun veining and you can see the beginnings of a little chick! YAY! However, the other 9 show the blood island and that is about it....

Will the other 9 take longer if the blood island is still showing? How would I know if they have stopped? I am hoping that they are late bloomers and will check them everyday to see if there is any sort of progression.

Has anyone else been in this situation?

Also.....my DH and I JUST BOUGHT 24 CHICKS for April pickup: Red Sussex and Red Rock (?) Craziness!!!!
smile.png

Day 5 is really early to make quick judgements - I usually can't see much until day 7. I don't make judgements until day 10, and I don't start culling until day 13-14. Which of course was today. . . Pretty good percentage though. Now I can't wait until they hatch!
wee.gif

Better than me! I'm mad at the rooster right now
somad.gif

19 eggs (two I dropped the lid on when I went to add water) so now 17. And out of candling 17 eggs, only 1 at day 6 showed any signs of growth. I can see an air cell and a blob in the others ... the yolk maybe???

I'll have to see

What kinds of chickens are you hatching?

I am hatching 12 Australorps, 12 Silver-Laced Wyandottes and 2 Ameracaunas. We have also just ordered 24 chicks that will be delivered on April 7 (Red Sussex, Barred Rock varieties).

I candled one of the wyandotte eggs and you can see this little creature jumping around in there....SO CUTE!

Just hoping that the others will form...fingers crossed and I will wait...impatiently...for another few days to candle.

Back
Top Bottom