Candling at day 8

slpaden

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 14, 2012
This is our first go round with incubating eggs. It is day 9. Day 8, out of 12 eggs, I only saw 2 with movement and air sacks. Others have small blobs with air sacks but no movement, one has what looks like a line around the egg. Any suggestions? Some also have spots all over. I see on a previous post that is a sign of bacteria, so after I candle this afternoon I will throw that one out.

Last edited:
One thing is make sure you have accurate light however you candle them. I prefer to look at day 7 then 14 then I check again at day 18 when I increase humidity. Make sure to keep the eggs upright, wide end up when candling. The lines are good, those are the veins feeding the embryo. Spots are bad it's usually bacteria, that said I have had eggs develop and hatch with a few spots but not small spots all over. I also have had eggs develop a little slower but some how day 21 seems to be like magic and they will pop. Super dark shadows that don't move aren't good either but you can hold it out until the end, in my experience they really don't explode unless the temp around them drops rapidly. I have great success hatching in cardboard egg crates with the eggs in an upright position. Wide end up of course. Oh one more thing consistency is key if it doesn't move it could be napping it may move on day 14 or 18...or if your like me you'll take a quick peek at it again later on, depending on how many eggs I am hatching at a time. Good luck it's a great experience.

Thank you so much! I had two with definitely no movement. One lots of spots and no blob and one with a blob, no movement yesterday or today and a ring around it. The others look good though. I think! It has been fantastic. We made our incubator which has been part of the problem. But it was a school project so we will get through this. Next time I will purchase one :)

Thank you so much! I had two with definitely no movement. One lots of spots and no blob and one with a blob, no movement yesterday or today and a ring around it. The others look good though. I think! It has been fantastic. We made our incubator which has been part of the problem. But it was a school project so we will get through this. Next time I will purchase one :)

I made my incubator as well I have made a few slight mods to it along the way. I try to keep a cost effective frame of mind to the whole chicken raising and breeding. I use the old fashion still incubator technique and hand turn 3 times a day. My incubator cost me $20 to make out of plywood and 1/2 a 2x4. The fixture came from an old can light I had laying around, and I bought a dimmer from the homedepot. I have almost 100 percent success so far. The best part of my incubator is the plexy window so I can watch them "pop" out.

Back
Top Bottom