Candling confusion

deviljho

Chirping
Aug 15, 2019
Hiya! I'm trying a project to incubate some store bought quail eggs, there's a few youtube videos on it. But when i candle most are nothing but a few have dark spots in the light like so:
20190815_120751.jpg
20190815_120751.jpg 20190815_120749.jpg

Are these embryos developing or am i wasting my time? I mean no use incubating eggs that won't hatch lol. I home built my incubator, so hatching something from it would prove it works lol. All parameters are kept at the range i researched.

How long have they been incubating? If they just started, it may not be big enough to see anything. Also, it's entirely possible that none of them are fertile. How many do you have?
Why store bought eggs instead of ones you know will hatch? Seems like a lot of time and effort for what could potentially be no result. Or you might get just one, and be stuck with a single, lonely quail chick. I'd at least be incubating a few eggs you know are fertile, if the end goal is to have quail.

How long have they been in the incubator?
What is the temp and humidity? Still air or circulating?
This is Day 5 (I bought them on Saturday), Temp is kept around 96-97 degrees F, Humidity kept between 50-30%, Still air.

How long have they been incubating? If they just started, it may not be big enough to see anything. Also, it's entirely possible that none of them are fertile. How many do you have?
Why store bought eggs instead of ones you know will hatch? Seems like a lot of time and effort for what could potentially be no result. Or you might get just one, and be stuck with a single, lonely quail chick. I'd at least be incubating a few eggs you know are fertile, if the end goal is to have quail.
I have 15 eggs, three or four of them have that darker area in them.

It was just an experiment, if one were to hatch he'd probably be with my me or mom and budgie, who spends all day outside of his cage. I was really only expecting to hatch one, if any, but that one quail would get a good amount of pampering and loving.

The youtube video this is based off of:

Whole Foods, huh? Are they all fertile or just some of them? Cuz having 15 quail trying to socialize with a budgie might be overwhelming for the budgie and us lmao

2 or 3 might be doable though.

Whole Foods, huh? Are they all fertile or just some of them? Cuz having 15 quail trying to socialize with a budgie might be overwhelming for the budgie and us lmao
They all are supposed to be fertile but i doubt they'd all hatch. Could always give them away if they all hatch

They all are supposed to be fertile but i doubt they'd all hatch. Could always give them away if they all hatch
Ah, I see. Well I might toss these guys except the ones that show that dark spot, and check out this Whole Foods. I looked it up and there's one like 8 miles away from where I live.

Back
Top Bottom