Candling darker eggs? pics?

redneckgirl

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 8, 2007
I have a broody hen that is setting on seven eggs, all of which are brown eggs laid by my hens. I candled them last night and I can tell the chicks are all developing. But I'm still not sure what to look for when hatching darker eggs, because its hard to see any veining.
Any suggestions or pics would be helpful! =]
hugs.gif

I'll give you a bump I'm having the same issues right now with my maran eggs. I see an air sac and a darker area but thats it no veins but some people say with darker eggs you can never see veins you just see the darker area where the chicks developing.

on realy dark brown eggs all you can do is set and look at the line where the air and darkness meet and look for movement. it sometimes take a little while but you will see it move.

After having a few incubating experiences under my belt," I stopped candling so often; now I candle around day 10 to look for the air sac & solid area where the chick is developing. If the egg is more translucent with no large dark area then I remove from the incubator as they won't be hatching. After a couple of incubations, my candling became more confident & no longer left the clear eggs in the incubator for the 21 days. My best/easiest candling light is a strong lit (more of a bluish/white tint) flashlight that I cup my hand over with thumb & index finger together to make an egg resting place over the light. Have fun incubating, counting the days & smiling when they hatch.

Back
Top Bottom