Candling during lockdown

JessicaB721

Chirping
Apr 12, 2020
So I'm just curious if I can candle my duck egg during the lockdown period. I have one day left in my incubator until "hatch day", and I'm really wanting to candle the egg to make sure there is still movement in there. Or should I just wait another 3 days or so before I get worried; if there is still no sign of the baby trying to hatch out?

So I'm just curious if I can candle my duck egg during the lockdown period. I have one day left in my incubator until "hatch day", and I'm really wanting to candle the egg to make sure there is still movement in there. Or should I just wait another 3 days or so before I get worried; if there is still no sign of the baby trying to hatch out?
Depending the ambient humidity where you live, it may or may not be okay to take the eggs out to candle. If humidity is low where you live you will risk shrink wrapping the chick. You can candle all the way up to the external pip without too much concern for shrink wrapping... but be aware of how you orient your eggs, some people say that disturbing the eggs too much during lock down may mess up the chick's orientation for pip. I personally haven't experienced such a thing, but I don't doubt that it can happen.

I know you are anxious, taking the egg out to inspect during this time doesn't really help the chick in anyway, I would advise you to leave it in there until you see an external pip. Most of the hatch issues a potentially healthy chick is met with comes after the external pip (can't zip etc). Often times when a chick doesn't make it to pip, it is because they have some kind of developmental issue.

Depending the ambient humidity where you live, it may or may not be okay to take the eggs out to candle. If humidity is low where you live you will risk shrink wrapping the chick. You can candle all the way up to the external pip without too much concern for shrink wrapping... but be aware of how you orient your eggs, some people say that disturbing the eggs too much during lock down may mess up the chick's orientation for pip. I personally haven't experienced such a thing, but I don't doubt that it can happen.

I know you are anxious, taking the egg out to inspect during this time doesn't really help the chick in anyway, I would advise you to leave it in there until you see an external pip. Most of the hatch issues a potentially healthy chick is met with comes after the external pip (can't zip etc). Often times when a chick doesn't make it to pip, it is because they have some kind of developmental issue.
I appreciate the feedback. But I'm just worried that if the baby needs help getting the shell broken, to start, how would I know? How many days after the "hatch day" should I wait to check on them?

I appreciate the feedback. But I'm just worried that if the baby needs help getting the shell broken, to start, how would I know? How many days after the "hatch day" should I wait to check on them?
if the chick external pips the right end, you should give them 24 hours to zip.
if they pip the wrong end (small end)they may take up to 48hours.
The zip should be pretty quick, 15mins-1 hour in my experience. If they have trouble zipping, that's when you should step in.

Most likely they won't need your help.

After they pip externally, which usually shows up as a vague crack in the shell and not a hole, they will be verrrrrry quiet while they focus on absorbing the rest of the yolk. If you can see their beak, this yolk absorption process will be apparent in a yawning/chewing motion. When the chick is ready to zip, there will be visible movement, and if the chick is having trouble you will witness bursts of energy and chirping as it struggles to zip. This will be the optimum time to help the chick.

You can check on the egg and candle if you don't see an external pip. you can make a safety hole if the chick has internally pipped and is alive.

I highly recommend reading the assisted hatching thread a few times over, it has definitely helped me tremendously.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching.64660/

your anxiety is completely understandable, I was too with my first hatch :)

Back
Top Bottom