Candling during lockdown

At the moment, I took the egg away so it does not end up getting smashed. But I cannot tell how far along it is compared to the one in my incubator, so I do not want to stick it in the incubator with the one that should be hatching soon.

my Muscovy is also nesting and sitting on some eggs that she laid. But they are not going to hatch, at all, because they were never fertilized. I would put the egg under her, but I'm afraid that she might end up smashing it since is it not one of her own.

For the egg you took away from the Mallard mother, I would pop it in the incubator while you think. It will not hurt the about-to-hatch eggs if it just sits in there, and that will keep it warm and safe.

Then I would recommend you candle the eggs the Muscovy is sitting on. You think they are infertile, but I would recommend that you make sure. (If any of them ARE developing, you do not want to give her an egg that will hatch at a different time.)

If you decide to give the Mallard egg to the Muscovy, she will never know that it's a different egg. Most birds are bad at recognizing eggs. Whether she will crush the egg, I do not know, but I'm sure she will not recognize it as an intruder.

I'm not sure if the Mallard egg would be safest under its own mother (father excluded), or under the Muscovy (with her own eggs removed), or in the incubator. I would probably trust the incubator more than either female duck, just because incubators do not crush eggs, but I'm not sure if that is actually the best choice.

For the egg you took away from the Mallard mother, I would pop it in the incubator while you think. It will not hurt the about-to-hatch eggs if it just sits in there, and that will keep it warm and safe.

Then I would recommend you candle the eggs the Muscovy is sitting on. You think they are infertile, but I would recommend that you make sure. (If any of them ARE developing, you do not want to give her an egg that will hatch at a different time.)

If you decide to give the Mallard egg to the Muscovy, she will never know that it's a different egg. Most birds are bad at recognizing eggs. Whether she will crush the egg, I do not know, but I'm sure she will not recognize it as an intruder.

I'm not sure if the Mallard egg would be safest under its own mother (father excluded), or under the Muscovy (with her own eggs removed), or in the incubator. I would probably trust the incubator more than either female duck, just because incubators do not crush eggs, but I'm not sure if that is actually the best choice.
Thank you. At the moment, I wrapped it up in a heating pad on low while I was trying to figure out what I should do. But you don't think putting it in the incubator would cause any issues for it?
This just sucks because she was doing so good for The past (almost) month sitting on them! 😔 I'm not sure what went wrong.
As for my Muscovy, I actually candle those eggs like once a week, and they are definitely duds. I even accidentally dropped one and boy did it smell awful!! 🤢🤮
I do worry though, because I've found a smashed egg where she nests also. And she's pushed quite a few away from her and I take those out right away so they don't get broke and smell!
I have no idea what my permanent option will/should be! 😖

But you don't think putting it in the incubator would cause any issues for it?

I think incubation temperature should equal mama duck's body temperature for all stages of incubation. And having the humidity possibly be "wrong" for a few days is not going to hurt it (exception: if it tried to actually hatch during a time when the humidity was too low. But that's not going to happen while you have the humidity correct for the other eggs to hatch!)

It is very common for people to have eggs in the incubator at different stages of incubation. Some deliberately set eggs every week, in the same incubator. So it should be fine.

As for my Muscovy, I actually candle those eggs like once a week, and they are definitely duds.
Since you've been candling her eggs, then I agree that you are right about them being duds. :thumbsup I've just seen too many stories of people who made assumptions, based on never seeing a mating, but it had happened when they weren't watching.

Attachments

• 20210821_140816.jpg
    20210821_140816.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210821_140838.jpg
    20210821_140838.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 15

Back
Top Bottom