Candling Eggs

grasjm36

Songster
10 Years
Sep 23, 2009
Hagerman, ID
How important is it to candle a broody mama's eggs? Today is Day 10, and I read a really great article on letting the hens do all the work. But the article insisted on candling on day(night) 10 and removing the 'dead' eggs.

The reason of my concern is that early on she had 10 eggs, now 9. One broke. I'm assuming she ate it. But there is bits of yolk dried on to the eggs she setting on. Not enough to cover/smother them, just a spot here and there. I understand thats not a very good thing BUT I really wanted mother nature to do this, not me. So I didn't remove any. She's a Barred Rock and very patient with me, so doesn't get too upset when I'm around. But I don't want to stress her or disturb her. I'm crossing my fingers for some of these eggs to hatch successfully. So long story short, should/do i have to candle?

IMO, if you are worried about upsetting the course of things, don't candle the eggs. When I have eggs in the bator, I candle them. When I have eggs under a broody, I leave them alone. My grandmother and dad always told me that the momma's know what they are doing and they know when the eggs are good or not. I am one that prefers to let the momma hens do what they were born to do. Just my opinion though... hope it helps.

I have never had a broody hen. But IMHO, I too would just let your girl do her thing! If you have the patience to not check, I say good for you! Why throw off the balance of what she was created to do. Congratulations to you (and her) and make sure to let us all know in 11ish days how those beautiful babies are!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks! I think I will just let her be. I have zero patience, but I will hold off until the end of this month. I'm super excited! This is my first broody hen
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom