Candling eggs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Richbilly, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Richbilly

Richbilly New Egg

Jan 15, 2014
    I am going to be setting eggs soon. Is there any easy way to candle a large number of eggs? My incubator holds about 300 and I normally set 100 per week. Last year my hatch rate seemed a bit low. I want to remove the bad eggs as soon as possible.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I have never hatched that many eggs at one time. So my method of candling has always been one by one. You don't have to candle at all. You can just let things be, and what doesn't hatch, doesn't hatch. If you want to follow the progress of the air cell, in case you feel this may be the reason for the low hatch rate, you will only have to candle a few to see how it is growing or not growing. Low hatch rates can be caused from not only improper incubation temps, humidity and ventilation, but bad eggs will also yield a poor hatch rate. Genetics, rough handling during shipping, among other things.

Good luck on your hatch and enjoy BYC!

3. Richbilly

Richbilly New Egg

Jan 15, 2014
    Thanks for the reply. I have started this year with 40 new hens ( buff Orpington) and this will be the first setting of their eggs. May have had something to do with the older hens and roosters I had last year. Thanks again

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! Another usually candle one egg at a time person here. People have set eggs in egg cartons (holes cut in the bottom) and just take the whole egg carton and shine a light though the bottom on the eggs without having to take them out of the carton, you can tell clears at least that way. If you do egg cartons you can also keep track of weight just by weighing the whole thing (minus egg carton tare).

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! As far as I know, there is no good way (for the regular chicken farmer, that is--commercial egg organizations candle lots of eggs at a time, but I'm not sure how) to candle large batches of eggs at a time. If you're afraid of the eggs getting cold, you could candle part of them one day, and then the others the next.

6. JDchicks

JDchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Southeast Alabama
    Welcome to BYC.

I am trying to come up with a way to candle during lockdown without opening the bator. We are getting ready to try mounting LED strips under the tray. Then when I want to candle, just turn the LEDs on. Not sure if it will work but we will find out soon.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'm also a 'one at a timer'. Welcome to BYC, and good luck hatching this season.

8. jilote

jilote New Egg

Jan 15, 2014
    Hello, l reside on James Island, SC ( Charleston County ). The town does not allow any farm animals, including chickens. I saw a post concerning Riverland Terrace on the Island where a few people raise chickens. These people are City of Charleston residents which allows chickens. I would like to know how l could go about changing my town ordinance. Advice welcomed.

Janet

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by