candling goose eggs?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by TeamChaos, Mar 5, 2012.

1. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    My goose has been sitting on her nest since valentine's day (about) and last nite I tried to candle the eggs- I saw dark blobs and tiny air sacs. Was my light not strong enough, are the eggs bad or do goose embyos look drastically different than chickens?

2. Sean S.

Sean S. Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    Sidney, NY
    Check out Pete55's waterfowl hatching guide that is in the sticky topic index, start at the top of the goose index page. He does an excellent job describing and illustrating what to look for at different stages of incubation. It will be a good place to start!

3. TeamChaos

Nov 8, 2009
    Awesome! Thank you! (I'm not on here enough to be familiar with the new forum layout, I appreciate your kindness)

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Since Valentine's Day? i would think they should be fairly developed by now. They may not be fertile. But definitely check out Pete's articles, they are very helpful and informative.

5. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
  6. TeamChaos

Nov 8, 2009
    Thank you- I'm going to candle them again later w/ a brighter flashlight. The shadows I saw look very similar to those on your page, but I couldn't see veins or details w/ my light and I thought they resembled the rotten clouds in a chicken egg. D'oh! I'll report my finding later. THanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by