Candling Question - Please Help Vertical

Thanks AmyLynn, no one else has responded.. I am feeling helpless and desperate right now. After reading some more on the site it seems that the egg should be in a 45 degree angle to help with gravity push the air up to the blunt side of the egg. I have been doing this, disabled the Brinsea turner because it requires eggs to be laying horizontally. It is right now at 45 degrees with me manually turning it. This is my only viable egg so I am doing everything I can or need to for this one egg. Now the air cell seems to be completely on the pointed end of the egg. Please see picture. I do not know what to do, leave it in the 45 degree angle, put it back on the auto turner in the Brinsea or ?. Please see picture. The embryo is still alive and active with movement. If anyone is reading this and has had experience with eggs like this with the air cell please contact me. It is now day 9.
Your egg looks perfect. The embryo is in the correct spot and the veining is supposed to look like that on the day you candled it.

Put the candler on the top of the egg to check the air cell size.

Last edited:
AmyLynn you are the best! I just candled from the top down and there is indeed an air cell! I could not see it from the bottom up on the Brinsea candler but when we put the candler on the top down here is what we got. It looks normal! Should I continue to keep it at 45 degrees and manually turn or put it back to the auto turner horizontally?
Thank you again for your help, I really really appreciate it!

AmyLynn you are the best! I just candled from the top down and there is indeed an air cell! I could not see it from the bottom up on the Brinsea candler but when we put the candler on the top down here is what we got. It looks normal! Should I continue to keep it at 45 degrees and manually turn or put it back to the auto turner horizontally?
Thank you again for your help, I really really appreciate it!

Let the brinsea do the work. It will be fine as long as it is turning the egg? Maybe put an x on the side of the egg to make sure it is tuning correctly.

Yes, the air cell looks good. You cannot see air cells by candling from the bottom.

Come say hi on your local thread!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/25/california-northern/58310#post_14585148

Someone on that thread may be able to help you get a chick to keep yours company when it hatches. I just hatched a bunch but they will be a bit old for your new baby.

Awesome, I have not gotten that far in thinking about a buddy for this little one but looks like it might be needed. Thanks Ron for the tips, I will definitely go to my local thread, I do have someone who posted on Craigslist with chicks available now in my area. Also thanks for the tip on the Brinsea, the Brinsea was doing great before when I observed the existing marking on the egg. If you think I can go back to the Brinsea that will be much easier on me as long as it is OK to go back to. I don't mind manually turning but if the Brinsea can do it that would be the best.
Thanks again, I REALLY appreciate everyone's help on this, I so hope that this chick makes it out into our world.

Awesome, I have not gotten that far in thinking about a buddy for this little one but looks like it might be needed. Thanks Ron for the tips, I will definitely go to my local thread, I do have someone who posted on Craigslist with chicks available now in my area. Also thanks for the tip on the Brinsea, the Brinsea was doing great before when I observed the existing marking on the egg. If you think I can go back to the Brinsea that will be much easier on me as long as it is OK to go back to. I don't mind manually turning but if the Brinsea can do it that would be the best.
Thanks again, I REALLY appreciate everyone's help on this, I so hope that this chick makes it out into our world.

Those little brinseas do a very good job so you will likely have a nice chick close to day 21 of incubation!

That looks a LOT better. Last night my tired brain was fooling me into thinking the light at the bottom of the egg was the air cell line. That egg is beautiful. Good luck in hatching!

LOL. When I looked at the picture again, I realized what you were doing, or what I thought you were doing...lol Yes, I agree, with a perfectly normal egg I would let the turner do the turning as well. That looks much better.

Back
Top Bottom