1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Candling question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kywilber, Oct 22, 2009.

1. kywilber

kywilber Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Lewisburg, Ky.
    It is day 5. I could not wait any longer. I had to see if i could see anything.

I order eggs from ebay. They are RIR eggs. I candled a sample of them well 5 of them. I picked 4 random ones and one lighter one. The air pocket on the random ones were about 40% and on the lighter one about 25%. My rh% has stayed at 47-50%. I did put some more hot water in to raise it some like the guide said. The random ones i did not see any veins in at all. They are very pourious (not sure the correct pelling). The lighter one i was able to see very good veins and was very excited to see that. What are the chances that I will not have a very good hatch rate as the air pokets are so big on the rest of them. I am jsut not sure what to do as this is my first hatch I am worred that i might not get any. Atleast it looks like i might get 1 [​IMG]

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Wait and re-candle on day 10 and see what you get. Many times it is difficult to see the first veining on darker shelled eggs. Mail order eggs are hard because you do no know how they were treated in transit. Many times they get scrambled in the shell. But give them a chance, re-candle and then decide.

3. kywilber

kywilber Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Lewisburg, Ky.
    they came in 2 boxes. one box had 6 broken. i don't think they were packed very good. just a egg carton and and 2x2inch paper towel on the bottom of the egg, and a sheet of newspaper in the box.

you might be correct about scrambled

thank you for the reply and help

4. VTGIRL

VTGIRL Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2009
    Vermont
    wow that was a poor packing job. I'd never buy from the seller again. I'm probably pampered considering I got my eggs from CJExotics and she packaged my eggs with lots of TLC!

We are on day seven today and I so want to try to candle them but I'm very nervous about it. I've never done it, the darkest room would be my bedroom and the incubator is in the kitchen. If I take them out to candle them I don't want to keep them out to long, etc..etc..etc.. I'm a scardy cat [​IMG]

5. MissCluck

MissCluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry about the poor packaging. I ordered bantams via Garrie Landry down South and the eggs were so well packed and individually wrapped that it took quite some time to unpack them [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I candled on Day 9 and saw veins/movement. Some of my darker eggs I didn't see movement until Day 13.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by