1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Candling question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by flash5153, Sep 10, 2010.

1. flash5153

flash5153 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Its our first try at hatching.
    A hen went broody so we got 3 (fertile) eggs from a neighbor.

About the(fertile) eggs,,,, I have never met the neighbors before,they live about a half mile away.Stopped in and asked if they had fertile eggs,,and she said "yes". She was very nice and we went out to the coop and she grabbed 3 eggs out of the nesting box.

I took these eggs home and put them under my hen. That was 2 days ago,,hen has been doing very well with them.

Im wondering when should I candle these eggs to see how they are doing? I read the sticky post on this so I think I know what to look for,,, but Im not sure when to do it.

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I'd give them a week and you should be able to see something pretty clearly by then.

3. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I do day 5, but a week is ideal. It should be easy to see the veins and movement. Good luck.[​IMG]

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I don't look until 10 days.....because then you will see something for sure.....looking earlier just makes me nervous! [​IMG]

5. flash5153

May 23, 2010
    OK,,Thank You.

I will keep you posted .

6. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Good luck and can't wait to here results.[​IMG]

7. Biddylover

Biddylover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Tennessee
    I'm so glad you asked this question! I was about to post the same thing, looks like we will have eggs hatching around the same time [​IMG] I already tried to see if I could see anything and all I did was frustrait myself sooo I've my myself promise I wouldn't look until at least day 7 [​IMG] Here is to happy healthy eggs! [​IMG]

8. flash5153

May 23, 2010
    Well it has been 5 days. The hen pushed 1 egg out of the nest . She sets on the other 2 very well most of time but every once in awhile she will get into a different nesting box and set, leaving the eggs.
    We have been keeping a close eye on her and put the eggs back under her. This has happened twice.

I candled the eggs and they are very spotty,, I believe they are bad.

It has been almost 2 weeks she has been broody. Should I put more fertile eggs under her and try again??

9. flash5153

May 23, 2010
    Quote:Hope you are having more luck than me. [​IMG][​IMG]

10. Biddylover

Biddylover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Tennessee
    Flash I'm not so sure anymore, [​IMG] I just don't know. Yesterday I candled (told ya I wouldn't hold out until day 7) by my calculations last night at 9pm they were 5 days old or 120 hours old. They are brown eggs and the Barred Rocks are darker than the Delawares, I have found some infertile absolutely clear eggs I am going to get rid of them. The rest I can't see the veins good like in the thread about candleing prgress. I see a mass inside the eggs some have an airsack some don't. I am so confused. I'm driving myself nuts over what the eggs are supposed to look like! 142 hours old at 9pm tonight..... ugh [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by