Candling question

flash5153

Chirping
9 Years
May 23, 2010
Its our first try at hatching.
A hen went broody so we got 3 (fertile) eggs from a neighbor.

About the(fertile) eggs,,,, I have never met the neighbors before,they live about a half mile away.Stopped in and asked if they had fertile eggs,,and she said "yes". She was very nice and we went out to the coop and she grabbed 3 eggs out of the nesting box.

I took these eggs home and put them under my hen. That was 2 days ago,,hen has been doing very well with them.

Im wondering when should I candle these eggs to see how they are doing? I read the sticky post on this so I think I know what to look for,,, but Im not sure when to do it.

I do day 5, but a week is ideal. It should be easy to see the veins and movement. Good luck.
big_smile.png

I'm so glad you asked this question! I was about to post the same thing, looks like we will have eggs hatching around the same time
wee.gif
I already tried to see if I could see anything and all I did was frustrait myself sooo I've my myself promise I wouldn't look until at least day 7
hide.gif
Here is to happy healthy eggs!
fl.gif

Well it has been 5 days. The hen pushed 1 egg out of the nest . She sets on the other 2 very well most of time but every once in awhile she will get into a different nesting box and set, leaving the eggs.
We have been keeping a close eye on her and put the eggs back under her. This has happened twice.

I candled the eggs and they are very spotty,, I believe they are bad.

It has been almost 2 weeks she has been broody. Should I put more fertile eggs under her and try again??

Flash I'm not so sure anymore,
hu.gif
I just don't know. Yesterday I candled (told ya I wouldn't hold out until day 7) by my calculations last night at 9pm they were 5 days old or 120 hours old. They are brown eggs and the Barred Rocks are darker than the Delawares, I have found some infertile absolutely clear eggs I am going to get rid of them. The rest I can't see the veins good like in the thread about candleing prgress. I see a mass inside the eggs some have an airsack some don't. I am so confused. I'm driving myself nuts over what the eggs are supposed to look like! 142 hours old at 9pm tonight..... ugh
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom