Candling turkey and duck eggs in a homemade kerosene lantern incubator

Field Mountain Farms, I don't know if you can make sense of these pictures but here are the pictures of my kerosene lantern incubator as designed by my fiance.

Attachments

• DSC_0077.jpg
    DSC_0077.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_0074.jpg
    DSC_0074.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC_0076.jpg
    DSC_0076.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 21
Field Mountain Farms, I don't know if you can make sense of these pictures but here are the pictures of my kerosene lantern incubator as designed by my fiance.
Wow...That is awesome. I have trouble with fluctuations in temps in my incubator. Have you had much trouble with keeping temps regulated?
I'd love to get more specific information from you. If you don't mind.

Would also like to see pics..... and know your location in the world.
Check out my profile. I stay in Lagos Nigeria. I usually have problems with humidity in the night. It gets so humid at night. However, right now we are in the harmattan season which is dry and cold so the humidity is usually less than 55%. Does humidity remain constant in natural incubation?

Sure
Wow...That is awesome. I have trouble with fluctuations in temps in my incubator. Have you had much trouble with keeping temps regulated?
I'd love to get more specific information from you. If you don't mind.
I also have trouble regulating the temperature and it seemed to be alright but it just hovers at 37.5 or 37.8. Since this is the correct temperature for hatching in a forced air incubator, can't I still have a good hatch? I keep adjusting the wick of the lantern and observe the temperature changes in 10 minutes. If the temperature can hold steady for 30 minutes, I leave it as it is. I just turn the eggs manually as many times as I can then switch up the eggs to compensate for cold spots. My fiance is already designing a mechanism that can easily control the temperature and humidity.

Sure

I also have trouble regulating the temperature and it seemed to be alright but it just hovers at 37.5 or 37.8. Since this is the correct temperature for hatching in a forced air incubator, can't I still have a good hatch? I keep adjusting the wick of the lantern and observe the temperature changes in 10 minutes. If the temperature can hold steady for 30 minutes, I leave it as it is. I just turn the eggs manually as many times as I can then switch up the eggs to compensate for cold spots. My fiance is already designing a mechanism that can easily control the temperature and humidity.
Small fluctuations aren't usually a problem. I'd expect you to have a decent hatch. Mine tend to jump 3 or 4 degrees, suddenly, or just as suddenly drop 3 or 4.
Temps and humidity will fluctuate in small amounts during natural incubation as well.
I really like your set up and I'm anxious to see what he comes up with.

Kudos to you Helen for the ingenuity you and your husband have. I wish you the best with your hatch. One concern I might have is the fumes from the kerosene lantern. You will know how successful your incubator is when those eggs hatch!
The vents are open so the fumes escape. I just hope that at 37.8°C, my eggs will hatch.

Back
Top Bottom