candling

i candled them and believe that four may have a baby inside...the others look very clear...what is the likelyhood that they will explode if i leave them a few more days to check at the weeks end?
also candled my ameracauna eggs...those are at the 5th day...all have a very dark, blackish area at the top 1/3 or so, i can't see any veining tho...what is that?

OH man, I LOVE my surefire 6p. That is what I use too! I have rechargeable upgrades and an LED lamp for it. The more lumens the better!

ultimate%20candler%20Small.jpg

A cheaper alternative would be the surefire G2 Nitrolon . It is almost the same except minus the metal body and interchangeability of some parts. PM Royicus about surefires and he can give you the big scoop on flashlights.

Go down to post #6
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15205

Dark areas are good, the every clear ones are going to be non fertiles or early deaths. Veins and dark spots are good. If you're light is not bright enough, you wont be able to see veins.

Here is a day 5 example.

brown%20two%20Small%20600.jpg

You can leave infertiles in the bator the whole time, as long as they do not get infected and you smell nothing, they won't blow on you. I have a half dozen eggs in my room from 3-8 years old that have never exploded.

Quote:
YES! Use that mile away setting on that head lamp. That will work wonders. As for where to shine, shine it all over to see the best areas. As for classic 6p vs 6Pd, the only difference is the defender bezel meant to hit people with. Royicus has one of each and it's hard to candle with the defender since there is scalped edges on the front bezel. Go for the standard face one if for some reason the head lamp doesn't work .

Agurrie, don't take this the wrong way but are you in a nice dark place when you candle. The darker the better. If your eggs don't show any obvious blood rings and are simply clear they will most likely not explode. If by day 14 you don't see a dark mass of some sort when you candle you should probably throw them out. You can rotate the egg around the light and you sometimes will see the little dark spot that is the growing chick at this point.

OH man, I LOVE my surefire 6p. That is what I use too! I have rechargeable upgrades and an LED lamp for it. The more lumens the better!

I second that!!! I bought the cheap led upgrade and the rechargeable batteries. I love, love, love my flashlight. I have to keep it hidden or hubby would take it. That might be a idea for a Christmas gift for him this year. I have Royicus to Thank for all the information he passed on to me to help me buy what I needed.​

Quote:
not taken the wrong way at all...yes the room is very dark. I tried again with my headlamp as stated above and just as the defender 6p was said to have scalloped edges...this does too...so it was not much better...thinking in a couple night i will try shining it thru a hole in a box....

I had no success with my first batch last month...so i got three dozens from three different sources this go round...

Last night i did see that in the tops of most all my ameraucana eggs that it is very dark, black almost at the top 1/3 area where i would expect to see the air space...some seemed to have a small something at the bottom area, but no veining...i am sooooo confused....I couldnt see any veining in all that i looked at...

This is what I do.. Sit in a dark room for at least 5 minutes.. Giving your eyes chance to adjust to the dark. When u switch the light on, keep them closed, place the egg.. and look..

(I also battle to see..)

smile.png

I bought a very cheap ($14.00) little LED flashlight at Big 5 and I can see very well inside my eggs. It isn't much good as an actual flashlight, but for candling it is excellent!!!

Back
Top Bottom