candling

aguirre

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 30, 2007
even looking at photos in books and online, I am not quite sure what i should be seeing at this point in my hatch...tonight is the 9th day in incubator...i have 13 light sussex eggs, so they are fairly light...i don't see blood rings, veining, or any certain signs of life inside...one actually has a very solid and dark look at the top of the egg where i would expect to see the air sac...can anyone suggest a website or book that will help...i have Living With Chickens by Jay Rossier and that does not really help...any suggestions???
The light I am using is a very bright penlight flashlight

I am using a mini mag light...I do have a headlamp I use for camping/hunting...it has four different led settings...one is extremely bright and can be seen supposedly from a mile away...would that work better? and would i just set it up to the egg like the mag...do i shine it thru the side, top or bottom of the egg for better viewing?
Thanks for the link to the photosthose will surely help

You cannot see very well when candling with a Maglite. I have one I use only if the batts are dead in the Surefire. Get you a surefire 6p with led bulbs. You can see them breathing inside the egg!!!

At nine days with light colored eggs, you should definitely see veining in the eggs, depending on what you use to candle with. I like my old slide projector-I think the bulb is a 300 watt bulb. I'd still like to get one of those flashlights you mentioned Kristen, as a backup, though.

Hey Cyn, the surefire's are great lights. The 6p that I have is actually my hunting flashlight but I use it in the hatching house a LOT. The size of the head on that light is perfect for candling even small eggs. Most eggs fit over the head of it and do not have a gap where your light can escape. They are great, but a little pricey. I got mine BEFORE dd showed up. I couldn't buy one now if I HAD to have one!!LOL

does it matter where at on the egg i place the light to shine thru and does direction really even matter...straight thru the side or top to bottom, from the bottom up?

Whoa, you aren't kidding about pricey! I just looked it up and my jaw dropped. Crud! Doubt I can get one. What d'ya think would be the next best thing?
Aguirre, try it through the side near the bottom shining up toward the aircell and if you cant see, try in another position, but be careful turning the egg around.

yikes...Kristen, do you use the classis or the defender? that light requires a chunk o change,,,but sure does sound like it works well...i found it for 60 lumens and also one that had some lense attachment that increases it to 120...what do you use?

Back
Top Bottom