Experts pls help! Day 6 candling of quail

jopu93

In the Brooder
Jan 1, 2023
Hi experts, I'm at day 6 of candling quail eggs. I could still see veins on day 3 but I'm not sure if its due to temperature spike or bacteria, all my eggs suddenly lost their veins and look dark in the middle.

This egg below still has its air sac and dark in the middle but no veins at all. Its clear at the pointy end.
20230805_232506.jpg

20230805_232522.jpg

Then this egg below looked like the egg above yesterday but started to develop blood ring today (im worried if my eggs all follow this trend and develop blood ring)

20230805_232405.jpg

And lastly this egg still has its air sac but no veins... is this bacteria ring?
20230805_232648.jpg

20230805_232635.jpg

Hi experts, I'm at day 6 of candling quail eggs. I could still see veins on day 3 but I'm not sure if its due to temperature spike or bacteria, all my eggs suddenly lost their veins and look dark in the middle.

This egg below still has its air sac and dark in the middle but no veins at all. Its clear at the pointy end.
View attachment 3600317
View attachment 3600318

Then this egg below looked like the egg above yesterday but started to develop blood ring today (im worried if my eggs all follow this trend and develop blood ring)

View attachment 3600321

And lastly this egg still has its air sac but no veins... is this bacteria ring?
View attachment 3600322

View attachment 3600323
They look like they are devolving and your flashlight just isn’t strong enough to see into the middle of the egg I would leave them in.

The third and last pictures don't look good to me. The first one looks iffy, but candle it again in a few days to see how it's doing.
😔 yes i spotted a blood ring on the second pic, so i guess thats a goner... third one is slanted in a weird way i dont know why... 🤞🤞🤞

Last edited:
If they are not shipped eggs, the blood ring can be caused by a spike in the temperature of the bator. I had quite a few eggs that had blood rings this season....candled them before setting and found blood rings...they were in the enclosure all day and the temperature here has been 103°F to 106°F most days. So temperature can definitely cause blood rings, not just rough handling.

I don’t have anything really to add. You are right about the blood ring, but patiocoturnix is right, your flashlight just may not be strong enough. That is a pretty cool day 3 pic though! Nabiki is right about the possible cause of the strange looking one, it could just be a deformed air sack.

I recommend keeping them in a few days longer. If the ‘black stuff’ starts taking up more space that is probably just the embryo growing.

Good luck with your eggs, and please, keep us updated!

Back
Top Bottom