1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Candling

Discussion in 'Quail' started by 6Chickens&counting, Mar 21, 2013.

1. 6Chickens&counting

6Chickens&counting Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    I set 15 quail eggs yesterday at 7PM in an incubator that's only supposed to hold 12. I was thinking about candling the eggs either the fifth or seventh day that way I can discard any that are infertile. Which would be better? Can I see pictures of candling on the 5th day and 7th day? Thank you! :)

2. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    I recently had a discussion with a quail expert about candling. Due to egg size and porous shell a quail egg cools much faster than a chickens. It is also difficult to see thru the spots. His advice is that if you must candle. To wait until day 14 as they go into lockdown. If the light up like a green bulb. They are no good. I had eggs hatching on Day 21. We think it may be that they got cooled often enough to slow development but not cool enough to kill the embryo.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  3. kenazzo2000

kenazzo2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    malta [europe]
    I candel them nearly everyday you will start seeing red veins after 3 days i have got a brinsea torch i like it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by