Canine Good Citizens out there?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Zahboo, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I was thinking of getting Willow into the training classes of CGC. For those that don't know it a training thing under the AKC, see the quote at bottom of post. They now allow mix breeds in their agility and obedience competitions which I think Willow would enjoy. I heard the tests can be tough. Willow is okay with people but only if they approach from in front of her, if someone walks up behind her she gets scared and clings to me, and doesn't listen to her sit/stay commands.

Anyone that has a Canine Good Citizen, let me know how the training classes went. Do you regret doing it?

What is it?

Welcome to the AKC’s Canine Good Citizen[​IMG] (CGC) Program. Started in 1989, CGC is a certification program that is designed to reward dogs who have good manners at home and in the community. The Canine Good Citizen Program is a two-part program that stresses responsible pet ownership for owners and basic good manners for dogs. All dogs who pass the 10-step CGC test may receive a certificate from the American Kennel Club.

Many dog owners choose Canine Good Citizen training as the first step in training their dogs. The Canine Good Citizen Program lays the foundation for other AKC activities such as obedience, agility, tracking, and performance events. As you work with your dog to teach the CGC skills, you'll discover the many benefits and joys of training your dog. Training will enhance the bond between you and your dog. Dogs who have a solid obedience education are a joy to live with-they respond well to household routines, have good manners in the presence of people and other dogs, and they fully enjoy the company of the owner who took the time to provide training, intellectual stimulation, and a high quality life. We sincerely hope that CGC will be only a beginning for you and your dog and that after passing the CGC test, you'll continue training in obedience, agility, tracking, or performance events.

AKC’s Canine Good Citizen[​IMG] (CGC) Program is one of the most rapidly growing programs in the American Kennel Club. There are many exciting applications of this wonderful, entry level that go beyond the testing and certifying of dogs.

Many other countries (including England, Australia, Japan, Hungary, Denmark, Sweden, Canada, and Finland) have developed CGC programs based on the AKC’s CGC Program. A CGC Neighborhood Model has been established, police and animal control agencies use CGC for dealing with dog problems in communities, some therapy dog groups use the CGC as a partial screening tool, and some 4-H groups around the country have been using the CGC as a beginning dog training program for children.

A number of specialty (one breed only) clubs give the CGC at their annual national dog show. Dog clubs have discovered that the CGC is an event that allows everyone to go home a winner. Veterinarians have recognized the benefits of well-trained dogs and there are some CGC programs in place in veterinary hospitals. State legislatures began recognizing the CGC program as a means of advocating responsible dog ownership and 34 states now have Canine Good Citizen resolutions.

In a little over one decade, the Canine Good Citizen Program has begun to have an extremely positive impact in many of our communities. This is a program that can help us assure that the dogs we love will always be welcomed and well-respected members of our communities​

2. verity

verity Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Clemmons
    We have loved doing the CGC classes at our local dog-training club -- and then we can take the dogs on to the Therapy Dog Classes ---
    we have never regretted it for a single minute -- fun at training classes and a much more confident and dependable dog -- what's not to love?!

We have some CKCS and they are not the brightest of dogs but they are very loving and they enjoy the training -- most in our classes have been larger breeds --

my husband is in the midst of training a 4 pound Japanese Chin and she holds her own with the GSDs, Labs, and Goldens in the class -- :)

go for it!

3. Slinkytoys

Slinkytoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Black Forest
    I took two of my Champions to a CGC certification test with NO prior classes nor training. One was an Irish Wolfhound the other a Chesapeake Bay Retriever. Both passed with flying colors, thus saying that if your dog knows how to sit, stay, come and walk by your side, you will most likely pass. You can talk to your dog during the testing, most of the certifiers are dog savvy- they don't try to make your dog fail.
    Good Luck, it can be a lot of fun and I love to take my dogs to the nursing home for visits.
    Slinky

4. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    I have watched them. They are not hard to pass if your dog has basic manners.
    I laughed at the judge eating a hot dog and waving it in front of the dogs.

I haven't done them yet though.

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I plan on doing it with Sadie once she gets older. For the classes here the dogs have to be 1 year or older.

6. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    I often ask my clients to set a goal for their dogs in training with me. I have done training with people and their dogs with a CGC in mind for a long time. Its an easy certificate to get and is good for home owner's insurance and also can save your behind if your dog ever is accused of biting or injuring someone.

7. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Willow can sit, paw and down really well. She does the down enthusiastically though, not calmly. Kinda just throws her feet forward and plops. (She's a goon like that [​IMG]) The classes I've found cost $200. I think that's a bit costy, but I'm a cheapo so who knows. I mainly want it for socializing, she's only been around a handful of dogs besides ours for playdates.

8. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    Havoc has passed twice (we didn't take classes), he passed both times, the first time he was 6 months and the second he was two years (not sure why we did it twice).

9. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    All my dogs have passed CGC with little to no training specifically for that test. It is a lot of fun to get. If your dog has house manners they can get a CGC. My youngest had no training whatsoever and earned her CGC at the same show where she earned her first point in conformation.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  10. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    What all do they have to do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by