Canine hip displasia

punk-a-doodle

Crowing
10 Years
Apr 15, 2011
After hearing an interesting idea that the way puppies are raised may help contribute to some cases of hip displasia, I thought I might try to see if a pattern did emerge through an informal survey.

This is not a thread for discussing hip displasia or sharing stories. Please just submit a clean cut answer if you know for sure how your dog or dogs were raised.

Please answer the following:

If you have ever owned or bred a dog with hip displasia, was the dog primarily raised indoors or outdoors before the age of four months?
If you have owned multiple dogs with hip displasia, were they related?

Thanks!

If only it were that simple. HD is a multi-faceted disease. There are definitely enviromental factors that can make it worse but at the same time, there is a HUGE genetic component. Also, it's not a simple recessive disease. They think it is affected by several genes. You also can't forget elbows.

That said, I have a GSD with HD. His mother wasn't checked, but grandparents on both sides and even farther back have good hips. He is a bad candidate for surgery because he also has bad elbows :(

He was raised inside from birth. I also followed his breeders advice of no excessive jumping/stairs/running on hard surfaces when he was young. He still ended up with dysplasia bad enough that he had trouble getting around starting at around 5 years old.

Oh yeah, it definitely is. Just read something interesting that would only apply to a few cases of bad hips and joints if there is anything to it. :)

Very sorry to hear of your poor boy!

Last edited:
I have no far not raised from a puppy nor bred any dog with CHD. My puppies spend the majority of their time in larger areas where they can exercise freely starting at near 4 weeks of age. They are also fed a raw food diet and kept in lean body weight.

Years ago I got a Rottwieler puppy that had it. It had it when I bought it at about age 2 months. Vet spotted it at the checkup and Xrays confirmed it. I am not sure how it was raised before I got it, but I had it both inside and outside, and it got severe enough by age 1 there was talk of surgery or euthanasia. I dont know what happened to it because I broke up with my boyfriend of the time and he took the dog.

Back
Top Bottom