Canine or Raptor?

I'm so sorry for your loss!

I would think canine would eat everything. Would a duck be too big for an owl?

Raccoons are pretty nasty predators. I had one catch one of my hens in the barn and take her up into the hay loft.

Sorry, I'm not much help.
Thank you. I was wondering about whether or no a canine would eat the organs. I don’t know.

Thanks. It was a short trail. What does the crime scene look like after a fox kill??
IMG_20181207_142735.jpg
IMG_20181207_142753.jpg
IMG_20190212_145759.jpg

If it was a owl (like others have said) it would most likely just take the head , and some of the entrails. So a fox or coyote, are my bet, but since your neighbor said that they just saw one then it is probably fox.

Because of the absence of a body I would normally suspect a fox but they don't eat on site.They will "trot off" with them as Asadora stated! Whatever it was carried it a short distance away or you would have found it. Furthermore it scared the goose so badly it won't return which means it witnessed the attack and escaped .Because you've not seen a fox but did see an Owl swoop down recently I tend to believe it returned and killed your chicken sorry. If the owl partially ate it before carrying it off that would explain how the entrails fell out and got left. A Great White Horned Owl like other raptors plucks feathers to eat a bird.If it eats the head only it'll swallow it whole. Eating part of it makes it made it easier to carry off to eat where it was safe.The fact that the feathers were wet may be because the chicken was disemboweled and partially eaten. The Great White Horned Owl is called the Tiger of the SKY for a good reason.They have 200-500 lbs pressure in their talons. They have the highest wing loading of any raptor in the states and can carry a 5 lb chicken.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom