Canker help needed please! My beloved rooster needs help!

So just to follow up on this thread, and summarize how it concluded... With frequent water changes, dividing the roosters into smaller flocks. The thyme, iodine treatment seemed to resolve our canker issues. None of my remaining boys have had any signs of anything left or reoccurrence. The boys who had been separated also had theirs clear up without having to use the fishzole.

As far as culling them on our own it did not go well. In short I freaked when it didn't go as swiftly or calmly as I had hoped. When I freaked so did the rooster. Handed him over to DH who finished the task but not without difficulty. It was tramatic, and there was blood everywhere. We said we were sorry, and buried him in the back yard. I felt bad because he trusted me, and relaxed into my arms before we did the dead :( We are more devout vegetarians then ever before! That being said I think everyone should try to kill their own food. It was educational. Therefore I was left with 7 extra roosters. My husband & I both did not want to do that again. We found out that our local Avian rehabilitation center (Vermont institute of natural science) accepted rooster donations. They have veterinary quality resources and are able to use CO2, and do it quickly, and humanely. The roosters are then used to rehabilitate raptors. It is located close to us, and so my husband brought them there. It was a good option for people like us, and I can rest a little easier knowing they went to help other birds who need it. I can't expect a raptor to become vegetarian! I do support rehabilitating animals. So that was what we did. We are down to 4 roosters, and are integrating the one who has one eye with my old boy Abe to see how they do.
I don't like killing things, but nature would have had them kill each other if I hadn't done something. Maybe someday I will have a better set up, but for now we have a resource for when we are gifted with too many roosters. I will be able to make the decision sooner, and might not be so attached next time. Always another lesson to learn with these chickens! Now I gotta go make a post about chicken poop!! :confused:

Great news! I am glad you found the rehab place...that is awesome.
:hugs for having to go through the killing mess.:hugs

Waiting patiently for poop post.

Back
Top Bottom