Canker help needed please! My beloved rooster needs help!

That's good to know!! And you would just treat all the birds... what size bottle should I get? If i treat the keepers It's 21 birds, and if I treat the whole current flock it's 29. Would you let the other doodles back into the coop too? Or do you think less stress for Abe is better?
by doodles I mean roosters :)

If it is canker I'm thinking it is probably better to start treatment asap and not wait a few day.
I believe you will need to treat each bird with one pill each day for 5 straight days.
Let me call the expert over real quick.

Canker treatment one 250mg Metronidazole pill per day for 5 days straight?
@casportpony

I'm pretty sure. the one in Abe's mouth looks like some of the pictures i saw, and DH agreed. There are no ulcers or round pox anywhere on him, and just the one spot on the roof of his mouth. He looks totally normal and i only saw it when i opened his beak. The others have a cheese like area on the inside corners of their beak or the inside ridge. I noticed it on the edge of their beak, and that's what got me looking...I tried to get pictures tonight, but husband says he will help me tomorrow morning to get one of Abe and maybe another rooster. Should I post a pic tomorrow before i go ordering medicine. ... Could i cull for meat regardless of the safegaurd given yesterday? is the wait time only due to retreating worm eggs, and eatting eggs? I read that a microscope is the only sure way to see the buggers... Abe's is raised though.

I can post pictures tomorrow morning, and can order the medicine right away. Abe is my Cochin, and such a sweet boy. I would hate to loose him because i hung on to no name roosters for too long.

Ok. DH just closed up the roosters, and added the separated ones back into the coop with Abe... He said they were wet from getting rained on. I can separate them back to their pen from Abe tomorrow so they don't use his water and food, and if we decide to not treat, and cull them. If stress is part of it, Abe being less stressed makes sense right? I'm gonna go to bed, but will check my thread here in the Morning. Thanks for being around when I need rescue!

I'm not familiar with canker but from what I am reading right now it is possible that if you don't treat them ASAp the canker can kill them pretty quickly.

I'm not familiar with canker but from what I am reading right now it is possible that if you don't treat them Asap the canker can kill them pretty quickly.
So If it's 1 pill per bird for 5 days that's 105 pills right?. The largest bottle is 100 pills, and cost $80.99. Do you think that website is the best prices? Because cankers can progress so fast is why I should treat the whole flock even the ones not showing symptoms because they've been exposed? As you know I've been worming them for days now, and I only noticed the "crusty" weird area on the two beaks today... I will post pictures tomorrow. Some birds like the roosters are much larger than the hens so would dosing/ pill amount be the same?

Post pictures tomorrow.
Let see if we can make sure this is what you are dealing with first.
Sleep well.

Back
Top Bottom