Canker Metronidazole Powder 20% dose for one chicken

crissy1079

Songster
8 Years
Oct 8, 2015
Can I mix a small amount of Metronidazole Powder 20% to syringe feed a bantam rooster with canker? What would dose be? It says 4tsp per gallon but I want to syringe feed him. Would it be same amount ? Not sure he is drinking on his own

The usual daily dose of metronidazole is 50mg per pound or 250mg daily. If you can determine how many milligrams (mg) of the drug are in each gram, we might be able to calculate a daily dosage. What is the name of the product?

That label does not really say how many milligrams are in it per gram of weight. With these pigeon products, the way they get around prescription drug requirements is that they supply a weaker more diluted product that the prescription product. For example this one is 20% with an 80% filler. So I can’t really help with a dosage. You could try to mix it more concentrated than it says, and then feed it throughout the day. You can get metronidazole 250 mg tablets online here:
https://www.allivet.com/product/aqua-zole-metronidazole/52210.html?sku=52210-1

Watch to see if he can drink on his own. Is he able to eat on his own?
He is eating small amounts and I think drinks small amounts but he is pretty weak from not being able to eat much for a while. He likes yogurt and I make him a mash of food with water. But not sure if he is getting enough of the meds. So I want to syringe feed him. But the amount listed is per gallon and he obviously not drinking gallons of water. So I thought a smaller amount in a smaller amount of water and syringe feed. But not sure the dose with the 20% powder

But the amount listed is per gallon and he obviously not drinking gallons of water. So I thought a smaller amount in a smaller amount of water and syringe feed. But not sure the dose with the 20% powder

Great I will try and get some shipped to me in mean time I’ll try this powder I have.
Try the powder you have until you can get the tablets.

You can always make a smaller batch, the label says 4tsp powder per Gallon of water, so break it down:
2tsp powder per 1/2 Gallon of water.
1tsp powder per Quart of water.
1/2tsp powder per Pint of water.

Try the powder you have until you can get the tablets.

You can always make a smaller batch, the label says 4tsp powder per Gallon of water, so break it down:
2tsp powder per 1/2 Gallon of water.
1tsp powder per Quart of water.
1/2tsp powder per Pint of water.
So update is he more active and eating more he has gained weight but I still see canker on one side of his throat. I still don’t have tablets. I think I’m going to try another round of the powder I put in water. Any other suggestions ?

Back
Top Bottom