Canker metronidazole/ronidazole?

Pics
Also, ILT infection, another respiratory virus can appear as yellow plaques in the throat. So viruses, protozoan infection, bacteria and fungus can all cause yellow gunk in the airway which can spread to airsacs. If you should decide to cull her, I would get a necropsy by your state vet to get an accurate diagnosis. Here is a link with state vets:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
If the bird had ILT it would be extremely ill. The bird would have foul breath and rattling breathing, and eventually coughing up blood. ILT is fatal and extremely contagious.

I need help. Fowl pox is going through my flock. Mostly the dry type. Last week I noticed one of the roosters trying to peck at its food and saw the mouth was propped open so was not able to transfer or pick up anything. After 10 minutes of trying to catch him, I was finally able to see that there was a growth in his mouth with some yellow stinky "morning breath" plaques. I have been tube feeding this guy now for about 4 days using a 14 french feeding tube and Kaytee Exact. He has not been having any occlusive type breathing. Praise the Lord! His Pox dry scabs have started falling off.

I have tried to scrape some of the plaque away, hoping to help him close his beak, but we end up having a fight and I always give in. I really dont want to harm him by scraping it away haphazardly. During my attempts, have seen some bleeding, which automatically triggers my STOP mode. I would like to know how to remove the plaque from his mouth @casportpony. Can you please advise?

495C9694-1DB9-4413-BA7C-8785491CC0C8.jpeg

Attachments

• B2129DF7-23C2-457E-AA67-86A7F8C7900A.jpeg
    B2129DF7-23C2-457E-AA67-86A7F8C7900A.jpeg
    443.1 KB · Views: 1
Just wanted to give an update. The thyme tincture alone cleared up all the plaque after 10 days.

She began eating and I went back and forth about returning her to the flock or culling still. I decided that since I’m now aware of the copper sulphate as preventative, they will be fine. I’m so grateful for that information. I free range them and watched how they daily drank from any tiny pool of water around the property. It’s inevitable that they’re exposed to canker this way from other birds.

So based on that reality, I decided to let her be free, she appeared to have enough strength to withstand a roo. Within a day she had cleaned herself up and was integrating as normal, eating, drinking and all!
All is well here, although now I’m watching one Roo grabbing my girls fiercely by the combs and that caused a scare with the several having black scabs, it’s always something isn’t it!!!???!! :barnie

Thanks for all your responses and help!
I know this is an older post, but can you tell me how much of the thyme tincture were you giving?

Back
Top Bottom